Console & Gaming Thread

Sour? For what? 35 years, maybe more. Enix equaled Nintendo and Square equaled Sony. Money money money! MONEY!

Money killed Hollywood. Money killed gaming. Money will kill you next.

Square-Enix? Sucks donkey balls.

People be playing games to help them finish the product.

We're all beta testers now. We eat, we breath and we shit beta tests.

Oh, and don't forget to get more RAM. God DAMN!

dilla

Trumpfan17 aka Coonie aka Dilla aka Tennis Dog
Ghost of Tsushima rumored to get the PC launch announced tomorrow. I heard so much about the game around its release but haven't heard much in the last year or two. That's the nature of gaming these days, I guess.

But it'll be interesting to see when it comes out.

Sony rumored to be buying the studio behind Helldivers, too.

dilla

Time to upgrade the monitor. Looking at all the criteria in monitor reviews is overwhelming. So much tech to learn about aside from the panel type. Dimming zones? all the sub-categories dealing with HDR ratings?

And I have to decide if my GPU can do 4K/120 on most games. And, if so, for how much longer before games become more demanding? Or do I go 1440/240?

dilla

Decided to fight like a savage for the MSI 312URX when it comes in stock. Seems like QD OLED is the way to go over WOLED, at least the new gen of panels.

masta247

Staff member
@masta247 Nigga, you around at all?
Looks like it's been a while since I last logged in. It was a busy time!

I'll spend some time re-reading the older posts.

Decided to fight like a savage for the MSI 312URX when it comes in stock. Seems like QD OLED is the way to go over WOLED, at least the new gen of panels.
I got the 32 inch 4K Alienware OLED, and the MSI 321URX. First I ordered the Dell as the others weren't available. I thought I'd prefer the flat screen but can use the Dell in the meantime and return it if I don't like it/others become available. Needless to say, I liked it, but I returned 3 units that arrived completely scratched up. The initial batches had insufficient packaging considering the anti-glare layer of those displays is made of soft plastic. My fourth came with a screen protector and has been perfect, but then the MSI I had on backorder shipped. I ended up keeping both.

I slightly prefer the Dell. The service is second to none, which surprisingly the three returns showed me. They bring you a new monitor that you can set up, and then come again to pick your old one up, with minimal hassle. It's quite important due to inherent burn-in risks of OLED. The build quality and software polish is also somewhat better than MSI's. But MSI is flat, if you care a lot about that. I thought I did, but the curve on the Dell is quite subtle, and it helps reduce reflections. Like, things behind you but somewhat to the sides don't reflect thanks to the curve.

They're definitely the best displays you can buy today. There's also the overpriced and slightly sub-par Asus model, and a Gigabyte model. All use the same panel with the exact same image quality as far as any differences that would be noticeable in real life are concerned. So pick by the price/availability balanced against the non-image-related features you may care about. I don't care about the inputs/outputs on the monitor and only cared about the image quality and reliable software/OSD that doesn't get in the way with OLED care features and such (which the MSI asn't as good at as Dell, but it's got the same image quality, and it's the cheapest option).

Overall considering the far superior (and more convenient) service and related trust that Dell will take care of any issues I may have with the monitor in the next three years, compared with the many discount codes floating around for purchases at Dell, I think if I were to pick one all around best, I'd pick the Alienware. It's the one I use as my main monitor now.

Last edited:
Dell is the best and that Alien 4K is great. I don't ever game on PC and prefer a 27" as my main, so I got the Dell UltraSharp 27 4K USB-C Hub monitor U2723QE a few months back. Came with no flaws the first time and works great. Thought that C-hub might come in handy if I ever want things bigger.

dilla

Looks like it's been a while since I last logged in. It was a busy time!

I'll spend some time re-reading the older posts.

I got the 32 inch 4K Alienware OLED, and the MSI 321URX. First I ordered the Dell as the others weren't available. I thought I'd prefer the flat screen but can use the Dell in the meantime and return it if I don't like it/others become available. Needless to say, I liked it, but I returned 3 units that arrived completely scratched up. The initial batches had insufficient packaging considering the anti-glare layer of those displays is made of soft plastic. My fourth came with a screen protector and has been perfect, but then the MSI I had on backorder shipped. I ended up keeping both.

I slightly prefer the Dell. The service is second to none, which surprisingly the three returns showed me. They bring you a new monitor that you can set up, and then come again to pick your old one up, with minimal hassle. It's quite important due to inherent burn-in risks of OLED. The build quality and software polish is also somewhat better than MSI's. But MSI is flat, if you care a lot about that. I thought I did, but the curve on the Dell is quite subtle, and it helps reduce reflections. Like, things behind you but somewhat to the sides don't reflect thanks to the curve.

They're definitely the best displays you can buy today. There's also the overpriced and slightly sub-par Asus model, and a Gigabyte model. All use the same panel with the exact same image quality as far as any differences that would be noticeable in real life are concerned. So pick by the price/availability balanced against the non-image-related features you may care about. I don't care about the inputs/outputs on the monitor and only cared about the image quality and reliable software/OSD that doesn't get in the way with OLED care features and such (which the MSI asn't as good at as Dell, but it's got the same image quality, and it's the cheapest option).

Overall considering the far superior (and more convenient) service and related trust that Dell will take care of any issues I may have with the monitor in the next three years, compared with the many discount codes floating around for purchases at Dell, I think if I were to pick one all around best, I'd pick the Alienware. It's the one I use as my main monitor now.

I think I'm going to do the same. MSI's supply/stock issue is really frustrating to deal with. I reached out to a few retailers and only one could tell me when stock was coming in. It was BH Photo and they said they expect more tomorrow, 5/6. Unlikely I get one then.

I have a bias against Gigabyte, MSI, and even ASUS based solely on what I've read on Reddit from other users. Their experiences sounded bad where the brand would have long turnaround times and also scrutinize everything in an attempt to avoid RMAing their products. Not just monitors, but GPUs, mobos, etc. That being said, I have an MSI mobo and I used a Gigabyte eGPU for 5+ years with no issues. But I'm still unreasonably wary of those brands.

I definitely trust Dell more. I was after the 3423DWF for a month or so but was unable to decide if ultrawide was something I'd grow tired of. Probably not for daily use or with most games but I have read that despite being pretty immersive in single player games and FPSs, there's always a chance a game dev might not support it on a game and you'd get the dreaded black bars. It's also not HDMI 2.1, I don't believe, so the few times I play on console, it'd be a less-than-optimal experience.

And while 1440p looks great, I felt like I'd be selling my 7900xtx short by not going 4K.

So I've inched away from the MSI URX; I think I'll wait for a cashback offer from Dell that should, ideally, bring it under $1K before taxes. And at under $1K, it'd be, at worst, $50 more than the MSI URX, which is a fine premium for me to pay.

I had heard that the curve of the 32QF can bother some, but most people say they stop noticing it after a while and even prefer it. I don't expect it to be an issue for me.

I too had read about Dell's poor shipping method that had a lot of people receiving damaged screens. I read they've added the screen protector and, maybe, some better padding, so that it does not get damaged during the shipping process. People on the forums were mentioning their production dates and it looks like those made March onwards are getting the better packaging.

The other option for me, if I don't go OLED, is either the Innocn miniLED. They have a 32" and 27" option and it got good reviews on RTings. So did the Acer XV275K P3. But again, I went all-out on building my PC and only "cut corners" by not getting a 4090, which I have absolutely no need for at all. I'd hate to bottleneck my experience by doing the same on the monitor. There's an Alienware 27' 1440/360 monitor that is also reasonably priced but I'm still attracted to the shine of 4K.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.