It was Written a classic?

10 years after the album reflecting on it, I believe It Was Written is Nas's second classic LP. The follow up to Illmatic had alot of hype to live up to, and although at the time it didn't for most people...alot of people couldnt understand Nas's new innovative style. In truth, It was Written was written before its time. This album along with Only Built for Cuban Links ushered in the costra-nostra era hiphop which wannabe "gangster", not "gangsta" rappers are still imitating 10 years after it was created.

Another Illmatic could not be reproduced..it was a different time, but wouldnt another illmatic have been redundant, after all dont we want an artist to innovate?

The Message, If I ruled the world, Street Dreams, I gave you power, little black girl lost, and of course one of my all time fav hiphop songs ever Affirmative Action.

This album is fuckin amazing and nas took some heat for it not being illmatic, but a decade later we see the effect it truly had while other artists still emulate the persona nas created in It Was Written.

Your thoughts?

ArtsyGirl

Love this album, alotta great songs on it. And I agree with Affirmativ Action that song is ridiculous! If he'd created another Illmatic he'd just be sticking to one formula and like you said we want artists to innovate not stay the same.

linx

Staff member
A classic? No. A good album? Yes.

I've seen too many people on this board say it sucked. Big deal it was the follow up to Illmatic, that doesn't mean it has to top it. Anyway, fuck all that, I think the album is good.

adxg

My thoughts, if you think this is a classic I think youre messed up. I could record myself taking a shit in the toilet and it would sell better than this album. Only good thing to see on it was Dr Dre.

adxg said:
My thoughts, if you think this is a classic I think youre messed up. I could record myself taking a shit in the toilet and it would sell better than this album. Only good thing to see on it was Dr Dre.
lol coarse. what makes you not like it so much?

Good, not a classic. Classic is a word that gets thrown around too often on here imo. Oh and to the guy that said the only good thing on it was Dre, 'Nas Is Coming' is probably the weakest track on the album.

Peace.

adxg said:
lol your thoughts arent very deep huh

IT WAS WRITTEN for me was a classic , it was my first nas album and it's one of my favourite album's, i wasnt REAALLy feeling street dream's. but i love the production as well. the message was the nicest song

Flipmo

VIP Member
Staff member
Yo, sit back relax catchin contacts, sip your cog-nac
And let's all wash this money through this laundry mat
Sneak attack, a new cat sit back, worth top dollar
In fact, touch mines, and I'll react like a Rottweiler
Who pull the late, we play for high stakes at gunpoint
Catch em and break, undress em tie em with tape, no escape
The Corleone, fettucini Capone
Roam in your own zone or get kidnapped and clapped in your dome
We got it sewn, The Firm art of war is unknown
Lower your tone, face it, homicide cases get blown
Aristocrats, politickin daily with diplomats
See me I'm an official mack, Lex Coupe triple black

Hahahahaha, love that verse from Az the vizualiza lol

ARon

Wow, i've been debatin this in my head since day one. I love the album, as much as or not more than Illmatic, NaS has and always will be my favorite artist, even before pac. The fact that he can release Illmatic then release it was written.. and catch heat for it still astounds me to this day. This album is classic, if you removed a couple of tracks, NaS is coming being one of them, well i like the idea of him and dre, but it failed. Production on it is great, lyrics........ timely, the only thing holding it from that plateau of being classic, heh i really dont know. I guess there are a couple flaws, but none the less, an underrated album by most, in my eyes.

nas sold his soul.

i switched my motto - instead of sayin fuck tomorrow
that buck that bought a bottle could've struck the lotto

to

crew, firm affliation, paper chasin
chips glossy, rich Pablo Escabano

still, it was written > any nas album since.

ARon

I hate how peole said he sold his soul and he sold out and all that bullshit, how?
And its easy to pick one of the greatest lines ever and compare to something that is average, this is the stereotypical hate im talking about, a lost gem it was written is.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.