Technology 2D Vs 3D

Prize Gotti

Boots N Cats
Staff member
For years game developers have invested millions to improve on 3D graphic in games across all platforms, but is it a huge importance? My personal feelings favour 2D games because the game play in 3D games all ways feels as it has been sacrificed to make the game pretty.

Street Fighter is a prime example, let take a look at StreetFighter 2;

Possibly the best fighting game ever made, still a classic til this day. No amazing effects, no 3D, just hours of fun.

Then you have StreetFighter EX3;

Nice graphics, but wheres the fun? Crap gameplay and boring after having completed arcade mode.

'SF' is not the only game, many classics, Sonic for example, have sucked in a 3D reincarnation.

Are these 3D games going to make us dust off the PS2 in 10 years time when we want a bit of retro? I really think not.

Discuss

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
What Im hoping for with SF4 for example is that if they must use 3D graphics they stick to 2D gameplay.

So horizontal fights fights that require quick reflexes and playing like the SF Alpha games (which were awesome in my opinion).

Nowadays they need flashy 3D graphics to sell. But please, stick with 2D fighting for Street Fighter!

Casey

Staff member
Most of the time I'd say 2D, and defo for Street Fighter.

I'm also a MASSIVE MASSIVE Sonic fan, I had all the originals on my Mega Drive/Genesis growing up and still love em. But I have to say, Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast was FUCKING AWESOME.

That's one case of 3D being good.

Tha_Wood

Underboss
Staff member
yeh lol it was built into it. best game. does anyone know if you can download master system II emulators and get the ROMS for it

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.