Agafia Lykova

Preach

This made me think about a norwegian documentary from a few years back. I never watched it but I wanted to, now I think I will. It's call,ed "Søsken for evig tid" or "Siblings forever". It's about a brother and sister that run a family farm together.

8c2984ad-2cde-496a-8089-8a3e0a8f51a5.jpeg

The guy is hunching over, but if you look at her posture coming out of the door, she also looks like she's bending over. That's how they walk upright lol. I'm not sure exactly why, but it's a farmer thing I guess. You run a farm for an entire life and it takes its toll on the body or some shit? I don't know.

It's just interesting to me because they aren't living in some backwards ass place. It's so out of place in a country like Norway that people still live like this.

A few years after the documentary, they made another one that's about them traveling (for the first time, ever) to America to find lost relatives. Here they are in America:

They became the national icons of the week when they were first shown on TV over here. Teaser trailer:

It does something to my heart to watch these two.

Cheers
The depth of which people go to eat is heartbreaking, yes sir. Notice Agafia's teeth? I think that's from years of eating hard food! I'm not native to America and I grew up far, far away in the mountains. Even there things were nearly as advanced as Norway, I believe, but I grew up amongst elders with backs just like that. Your post brought back this distant memory of mine, Preach on! I guess I took it for granted?! I too believe it's from farming - my grandmother, god bless her soul, back then she used to carry me on her back to calm me - she grew up during the war and food was scarce. She would've gone Willy Wonka for a piece of chocalate in those times! In the little memories I have of her, my grandmother, nearly 'til her end scooped the last bit of food with her hands at the bottom of the pot. That's just what her generation did because they knew - they've been to the bottom. I've never been back to those mountains and I wonder how life is like there now. I'd imagine some things to be frustratingly same and some things of be disturbingly different. I love my grandmother but it's hard to picture her face in my head. Despite this, Agafia reminds me of her and I believe too shared that same pure smile.

How are things in Norway??

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.