Technology Apple's brewing shitstorm

Casey

Staff member
Apple's Brewing Shitstorm

Dave Winer—the father of blogging and the RSS—has published this article on Apple's current situation. His prediction: The Reality Distortion Field bubble is "about to burst" and Apple is going to suffer the ugliest shitstorm you've ever seen.

I've been lucky to be in the middle of a number of Internet shitstorms in my life. They've been absolutely surreal, unfair, cruel. No one will listen to your side of the story. People you thought were friends join the pile-on. Etc etc. And then it passes, and eventually you go back to life as it was. I don't want to re-litigate any of them, please — but I just want to say I know what it's like.

Now Rex Hammock, who I admire as a friend and as a pundit, wrote a piece about Apple and the crazy situation with the iPhone 4. He's right, but he doesn't quite go far enough in his analysis.

I don't think the problem is with the iPhone 4. I think what we're seeing is Apple's charm wearing off. The Reality Distortion Field bubble is about to burst. Their run as the Exceptional Company is about to end. And they're going to be the last ones to figure it out. And it's going to be the ugliest shitstorm you've ever seen.

Why will it be so ugly? Because Apple's hype has been steadily inflating since 1997 when Steve Jobs returned, and it's never taken a dip. They've risen from being written off to being worth more than Microsoft.

It's also going to get ugly because we're fed up with corporations. It was remarkable that there were no ads for oil companies on the World Cup broadcasts (at least the ones I watched). Can you imagine listening to a pitch from Exxon or BP saying they are working for our energy independence, or to clean up the planet or all the other lies they were telling us while they were taking huge unnecessary risks with the ecology of the oceans? They're smart enough to know now is not the time to be spouting bullshit at us.

It will be ugly because Apple is going to let it get ugly. Because unlike the oil companies they have no experience with PR disasters. When I read their first public response on July 2, the one that said the problem was the meter measuring the strength of AT&T's signal, I couldn't believe this was meant to be taken seriously. It's the kind of story The Onion might have written on a bad day. Or Jon Stewart. That a corporate PR team wrote this says how unseasoned their people are. That they thought this answer was going to satisfy anyone says how out of touch they are with the world they are in.

"We have discovered the cause of this dramatic drop in bars, and it is both simple and surprising.
"Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong. Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength. For example, we sometimes display 4 bars when we should be displaying as few as 2 bars. Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they don't know it because we are erroneously displaying 4 or 5 bars. Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place."

Apple has no concept of what's it like to be disbelieved, untrusted, seen as an American corporation and nothing more.

I wonder how Apple is going to deal with their first serious virus. Microsoft, when they had to deal with malware, was in denial for years. They thought it was the users' problem. Until they finally saw people switching to Macs (as I did) just to get away from all the crazy shit that was attacking Windows users.

In 2007, I couldn't believe Apple, a company that was selling itself as the more secure computer, wanted to keep my failed hard disk, one I had paid full price to replace, insisting it was theirs to refurbish. I couldn't accept that they would let all my personal information fall into the hands of who-knows-who, but that's what they proposed to do.

Apple is a company that desperately needs to grow up and wipe the smile off its face, and roll its sleeves up and start to appreciate that they're no longer the upstart, the underdog, the Crazy One in the Richard Dreyfus ad. They are The Man, the Boss, the one who, from now on, everyone is going to be taking shots at and shits on.

I use Macs. I'm typing this on a new 27-inch iMac. I stood in line to buy the iPhone, in the sweltering summer New York heat. I was pleased when Apple people came out to bring us bottled water. More of that Apple. More care and concern for the people who give you not only their respect and adoration, but also their money. The rules that apply to The Rest Of Us are about to apply to you. Time to get ready for it.

BTW, I am an Apple shareholder.

Ristol

New York's Ambassador
I agree with whomever typed that about the novelty just wearing off. There's certainly some degree of that. Casey, where is that from?

dilla

Trumpfan17 aka Coonie aka Dilla aka Tennis Dog
I don't think I could have been happier with another laptop other than the MBP I have now. This is including not only the specs and design, but the price for the laptop as well. Also, battery life and ergonomics are unmatched. I haven't shunned Windows, but I wouldn't want to go back. OSX has its drawbacks, but I'll live with them over the ones with Windows.

That being said, Apple has been resting on its laurels, really relying on their newfound success and appeal, especially to the younger generation and to Hollywood (seems like every movie has successful characters in an office with Macs and iPhones). It's hard for a successful company to continue to push out quality products once they've 'hit it big.' No company is immune to this. It's just that Apple has faced adversity before their spike in success and so with news of a failure of this proportion being brought to light, of course haters will jump right back on the bandwagon of hate and shit on them.

If I were Apple, in very simple terms (because I am no expert in economics...computer science...marketing..etc.) is to just go back to basics and not treat customers like shit. Jobs and engineers knew the iPhone antenna was fucked to begin with? That shit can't slide and they should be punished. If it happens again, smart consumers will being to look elsewhere. Those that stay behind may have incredible loyalty or may just blindly try and ride the trend that is to buy Apple products. Maybe both. But then those people are taking risks and should be ready to accept the consequences, positive or negative, as a result of their decision.

At that point, the hate should be at stupid Apple consumers that (hypothetically) would be buying products from a company that treats them like sluts for their money. The consumer controls these companies with its wallet.

Also, I have yet to see a phone in 2010 get released and not have issues that fuck it all to hell. Regardless of OS or carrier. They all have shitty, inexcusable problems that just shit on early-adopters. They take a risk buying early, but I think the drawbacks have just gotten shittier as of late.

masta247

Staff member
I'm not sure if everything is true and that's because Apple is at it's peak right now.
The problem is however that Apple used to be that niche company and they weren't really compared to their competition much (apart from their OS). They used to enter 'blue oceans' (markets where there was no or very little serious competition) wherever there was an opportunity, successfully placed their product there and marketed it in a way that nobody else could compete even if he had a better product. That was because Apple had Ipods, not mp3 players; Ipads, not tablets; Iphones, not smartphones etc.
Now they're starting to feel the heat of their competition since they're becoming too big and they're getting crazy about it.
There are better phones, operating systems, hardware and people begin to realize that fact. Especially tech sites and magazines that many people read. Again, Apple doesn't like that because one of their major ways to succeed was to avoid direct competition.
The Iphone 4 proves that very well. For the first time ever they released a competitive phone with rather high specs because another Iphone with a 300mhz processor and an unbelievably high price tag just might not have worked again now.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.