Need help in making my room

so the walls absorb the sound better.

I have two questions, do I need to "decorate" the entire room or just a space in where I'll have my mic? And I've also heard that placing your mic to a corner increases the sound-bouncing with 8times..so how do you guys have it?

Bigg Limn

Staff member
Placing the mic in a corner will distort the sound-waves bounceback so itll go off in different directions, rather than bounce back straight to your mic. Meaning you'll have a soft reverb instead of a hard delay sound.

If U can afford it, decorating the whole room/booth is the way 2 go...other wise just mainly around where the mic is and then a few other sheets scattered at your discretion.

Bigg Limn said:
Placing the mic in a corner will distort the sound-waves bounceback so itll go off in different directions, rather than bounce back straight to your mic. Meaning you'll have a soft reverb instead of a hard delay sound.

If U can afford it, decorating the whole room/booth is the way 2 go...other wise just mainly around where the mic is and then a few other sheets scattered at your discretion.

Thx for your advice Limn :thumb:

I've heard though, that placing the mic in a corner increases the soundwaves to 8 times. Meaning that I'm bound to get more waves in my mic if I place it on the corner then having the mic in the middle of the room. What do you know about that?

Right now, I can't afford to decorate my room so I have to go for the easiest and cheapest way possible but I'm hoping that this summer I can afford it when I start to work. So can you give me some tips on how to decorate and what I should do/buy to my room?

Bigg Limn

Staff member
Having it in the corner may increase the sound wave bouncing [im not sure tho] but it will be soft reflections, so itll just add reverb. If U have a flat wall, with no texture on it - then youll have a bounceback straight 2 the mic - creating a delay youll be able 2 distinctively hear.

Personally...I have my mic in my bedroom, walls have a sponge texture on em, so theyre a bit bumpy. I had the mic almost in the corner, but still facing straight @ the wall - had no reverb. Now I keep the mic in the middle of the room, jus so I have more space when Im recording...and Ive noticed no difference.

Basically, as long as your walls arent flat - you're good.

Dante

Meyer & Dante Best Friends4eva
go to walmart and buy some eggshell foam. to put it up over an entire room should cost you less than $50. probably more like $25.

you don't want to use bounceback as amplification, which seems to be what you're getting at. couple reasons here... of paramount is that bounceback soundwaves will not have the clarity of a direct wave. if you want reverb, use a reverb filter. you can always undo effects, but if you record with one, it's there forever. likewise, if you're using it as an amplification device i can just envision your waves looking like clipped out blocks instead of a nice variety in amplitude. put the mic in the center of the room, or if you're in a corner, spit away from the corner and not into it. rule of thumb is that the farther your mic from your face, the more roomy it will sound, and this isn't good for lead or sole vocals. get a spitguard. buy the eggshell. assuming you don't have a crappy mic, you're good to go.

we had to do an improvised booth once to meet a deadline, and it cost us about $25 to do it. we used a hotel closet, bought a pack of nails (used a heel and cheaped out on the hammer) for $5, bought a flashlight for $3, some nylons for $2 (spitguard), and bought an eggshell mattress cover for $15. went to best buy and bought a $200 mic, which we returned the next morning. done deal.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
If you can afford it get proper foam, it's well worth it, but dont waste your money on the fire proof one, you only need it for insurance purposes if you're setting up a professional studio.

If you cant afford it, go to a bedding store and buy the foam mattress underlay. If you want to do it real cheap, buy one king size one; it should be sort of egg carton shaped. Im sure you know what studio foam looks like. Anyway, once you have that, cut it in half and attach it in the corner of the room. Then put the mic in the corner. Never stick a mic in the corner unless you have foam there because you will get a messy recording.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.