Obama Watch

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
Since Obama vowed to usher in a new era of transparency and accountability, I thought it was only appropriate that we, too, monitor the decisions he makes in the White House, for better or for worse.

Use this thread to inform each other of Obama's doings and the effects of his doings, so that some time down the road, we'll have something to look at when we're judging his efficacy as President.

January 21st, 2008

The Obama Administration is drafting executive orders calling for Guantanamo Bay's closure within a year.

The Administration is calling for a policy requiring the Army field manual for interrogations to apply to all people in U.S. custody. This is aimed at closing any potential loophole that might allow the CIA to engage in what many say are coercive interrogations.

Obama freezes pay for senior staff, signs ethics guidelines. "The pay freeze affects the roughly 100 White House employees who make more than $100,000 a year. "Families are tightening their belts, and so should Washington," Obama said"

Obama's new lobbying rules will ban aides from trying to influence the administration when they leave his staff. Those already hired will be banned from working on matters they have previously lobbied on, or to approach agencies that they once targeted. The rules also ban lobbyists from giving gifts of any size to any member of his administration.

"Devoting swift attention to the Mideast turmoil, Obama prepared to give George Mitchell, the former Senate Democratic leader, a top diplomatic post for the region."

Obama said he would change the way the federal government interprets the Freedom of Information Act. He said he was directing agencies that vet requests for information to err on the side of making information public — not to look for reasons to legally withhold it — an alteration to the traditional standard of evaluation.

Obama began his morning with meetings with his top economic advisers, which meshed with quickened efforts in Congress to add top Cabinet officials to the roster of those confirmed on Tuesday and to advance the economic stimulus measure that is a top priority of his administration.

Orders to close Guantanamo facility drafted, officials say - CNN.com

Obama's first day: Pay freeze, lobbying rules - White House- msnbc.com

Shadows

Props, nice thread.

I say its all good moves so far. Anyone agree?

Why pay them so much if they are not doing their job correctly?

ARon

^It's not that they're not doing their job correctly it's just a show of good faith really, thats how I look at it.

Snowman

if they close Guantamino where would they put Al Queada(sp)?? i had heard they would move the prisoners to N.C. thats just one thing i dont like from the obama adminstration.

Glockmatic

Guantanimo is not filled with Al Qaeda. It's a mix of poor farmers and extremists, the majority in the former. Release the ones who are imprisoned with no evidence and put the ones who do on trial, it's a very simple concept right? The ones who are released aren't going to be roaming the streets of New York, they'll be going back to their home country.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
Almost all the innocent in the past have been released back to their home country, I don't see why they won't take the innocent back now.
because of fear of backlash at home. For example, the 5 or so of those Chinese Muslims that probably won't be released to China because they fear for their life. They're asking for asylum in other countries.

Glockmatic

because of fear of backlash at home. For example, the 5 or so of those Chinese Muslims that probably won't be released to China because they fear for their life. They're asking for asylum in other countries.
That's like 25 out of 200, hardly "most". Many of them are from Afghanistan or Iraq. The point is that they won't be staying in the United States, so the conservatives don't have to be afraid that Al Qaeda will be their neighbours once Guantanimo shuts down

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
That's like 25 out of 200, hardly "most". Many of them are from Afghanistan or Iraq. The point is that they won't be staying in the United States, so the conservatives don't have to be afraid that Al Qaeda will be their neighbours once Guantanimo shuts down
The figure is more around 50, but you're right that it's not "most" and that they won't be in the US.

Jokerman

"A Saudi national released from U.S. detention at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in September 2007 is believed to be a key leader in al Qaeda's operations in Yemen, according to a U.S. counterterrorism official."

Half the prisoners at Guantanamo are from Yemen. Yeah, let's release them.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.