Philosophy

A subject I feel that is somewhat overlooked in this forum. I'd like to propose/invite a discussion on the subject. It is something I like to pursue in my spare time, I find it intriguing, deep, and thoughtful. It is useful for me to be able to apply philosophy to/in everyday tasks, problems, situations etc.

I am personally drawn to the thinkings of Socrates, Mencius, Confucious, Lao Tzu, Buddha, Bodhidharma, mainly - among others. Anything that is to do with Metaphysics and Epistemology, closely followed by Ethics and Esthetics. Other 'political' philosophies interest me also, from some common well known 'thinkers'.

Barring such subjects like Science, Maths; things that are based on certain conclusive systems. A lot of what philosophy deals with, looks at answers to questions which have no scientific or mathematical evidence. Certain premisses cannot be supported by such a subject because they are not inherently rooted in them. Philosophy is not really a practical subject, unless you consider pragmatism.

Philosophy seems to be such an isolated subject in it being that it is to do with thought, which in itself is an isolated process. Philosophy in discussion takes on the attributes of debate and arguments, which causes conflict rather than conclusions.

I have had in depth conversations with other people on the grounds of philosophy. Looking back, there was arguments on both sides, but we seemed only to point out the weakness in each others arguments based on our own knowledge. It seemed at the time that we was arguing for the sake of arguing, but wasn't. These kind of discussions enforced my own perspectives on where I was right, and corrected me where I may falter in future.

I think it is good to question what you know, what you think you know, and to question your own beliefs. Or even just to take time to reflect upon them. Other peoples attitudes may differ, through things such as tradition and conditioning. But I don't see anything that opposes philosophy as contributing to the faculty of having an open mind. A mind that can function freely.

masta247

Staff member
overlooked?

I had to suffer from it everyday at school and whole "Words of Wisom" here is also straight philosophy. :p

^ please expand. You have stated nothing. Philosophy is the foundation of wisdom though, yes.

If you've been fortunate to have an education on this subject then maybe you have something substantial to contribute ..

I would like people to contribute their own views on this subject here, so that they can be reflected upon.

You are one person that thinks philosophy is an impractical subject SOFI, do I have to quote you on that?

Can you give a definition of philosphy and in short what you'd like to discuss?
That is a very good question Chronic, and probably the best. 'What is Philosophy?' - is a philosophical question in itself. Why are you in words of wisdom if you don't know what philosophy is ... when philosophy is the foundation of wisdom.
If you do have a sense of what philosophy is, how do you approach it and what is/are your views?

I'm trying to be as fair as I can be. I don't think that this is an easy subject to discuss. Just the same as, I don't see any threads in here dedicated to any particular philosopher. No one talks about Socrates, Plato, yet everyone seems to be content to discuss things in a Machiavellian context

Glockmatic

That is a very good question Chronic, and probably the best. 'What is Philosophy?' - is a philosophical question in itself. Why are you in words of wisdom if you don't know what philosophy is ... when philosophy is the foundation of wisdom.
If you do have a sense of what philosophy is, how do you approach it and what is/are your views?
Hippy

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
I would like people to contribute their own views on this subject here, so that they can be reflected upon.

You are one person that thinks philosophy is an impractical subject SOFI, do I have to quote you on that?
Most of us haven't studied philosophy or read books pertaining to it therefore it's difficult to contribute a view. It'd be easier if you had a certain topic to discuss, like Chronic said.

You can quote me regarding the particular discussion that we had, not regarding philosophy as a whole.

masta247

Staff member
I'll reply to this thread and pm in one message:

I have studied philosophy, I also graduated from a humanistic class. It changed my mind of thinking as in most cases philosophy only concludes what's already known.
Also philosophy as a subject of education tends to put itself above other subjects like maths, chemistry, biology and such which are in my opinion much, much more valuable and contributing to our world.
I find philosophy as pointless thinking about what is already known and trying to name something that has already happened.

That's of course just my opinion - I'm a person who abandoned humanistic education because I found out that it brings nothing new and it just creates fake illusion of higher knowledge. Humanistic education is easy and convenient. You can interpret everything however you want and it will be correct in philosophy. It doesn't require a clever brain.
I decided to pursue science instead.

I hope I mean the same philosophy (as a whole in context of education) you are talking about.

Is that your contribution to this thread, calling me a hippy? lol. Maybe you wouldn't mind explaining your perspective.

Most of us haven't studied philosophy or read books pertaining to it therefore it's difficult to contribute a view. It'd be easier if you had a certain topic to discuss, like Chronic said.

I did try that with the duality thread but it got dismissed as bullshit/bollocks. Made me question why people are in WOW in the first place, which is one of the reasons why I made this thread.

Glockmatic

Is that your contribution to this thread, calling me a hippy? lol. Maybe you wouldn't mind explaining your perspective.
Saying things like "Well thats a philosophical question there...what IS philosophy?" sounds hippyish. Just add "Man" at the end and you got yourself Tommy Chong. I agree with Masta247, it's old and boring stuff

Saying things like "Well thats a philosophical question there...what IS philosophy?" sounds hippyish. Just add "Man" at the end and you got yourself Tommy Chong. I agree with Masta247, it's old and boring stuff

You mean to say Cheech and Chong is boring? Or just Chong? Who the hell would think that! They are two funny motherfuckers :D

Glockmatic

You mean to say Cheech and Chong is boring? Or just Chong? Who the hell would think that! They are two funny motherfuckers :D
They're not boring, it's just that something like "That's a good question man...what IS philosophy man?" sounds like a stoner/hippy would say. It's a deep question that leads to nowhere except to maybe blow the minds of other hippies. But hey thats my opinion

The deepest thing I ever heard a hippy say is 'do strawberries have dreams?'

Actually it was probably the funniest thing, I just thought it was deep.

Euphanasia

I question things all the time. Literally, every single day. I feel that we as human beings have certain tools that we can use to reach the most probable conclusions about those things that we cannot know. If you use your senses, your mind, your education, your experiences, et cetera you will find that you can answer a lot of questions about shit you really don't know.

Da_Funk

I question things all the time. Literally, every single day. I feel that we as human beings have certain tools that we can use to reach the most probable conclusions about those things that we cannot know. If you use your senses, your mind, your education, your experiences, et cetera you will find that you can answer a lot of questions about shit you really don't know.
Which begs the question.. how do you really know the conclusions you reach are the truth?

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.