Shoutbox....

i really hate to ask this question, cuz i know its been asked and answered a million times, but what happened to it?? i always seem to miss the post with the answer....was it not supposed to come back up??? it's been almost a year...9 months maybe...i kinda miss it...

_carmi

me, myself & us
not coming back. used to much internet whatever its called thingy. would always slow up the board or bring it down. if i remember correctly.

bandwidth???

damn, that thing was amazing...i'd pay the donor fee to get it back...i really would....buy more bandwidth with the money....

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
tennis_dog said:
bandwidth???

damn, that thing was amazing...i'd pay the donor fee to get it back...i really would....buy more bandwidth with the money....

Too many people talk. Not enough action.

Amara

^Yeah so if we left it up it would inevitably reduce the site to nothing more than a chatroom... and you see already the board experiences quiet patches as it is. Besides, there are plenty of other ways to chat to people already.

right, but the fact that it was a little more public as to what people were saying...it was essentially one big chat room in which no one had to invite anyone...people came and went as they pleased...kinda like background chatter while we surfed the board...but its all good...

and i think the shoutbox might actually bring more members back.... alot of people seemed to have left after the shoutbox went down....whether or not that was the reason they left is another story....

SicC

Dying Breed
Staff member
It was a lame idea in the first place good riddence to bullshit. We can just go on Mirc and make a chat room.

pz

_carmi

me, myself & us
^now i dont think everybody would agree with that. more than half the people here liked it. you can make a cote if you wat. you'll see.

SicC

Dying Breed
Staff member
Doesnt matter what U/they like what matters is this..if it cuases issues with the site uses to much bandwidth and cuases rukas to pay more out of his pocket then it will never EVER come back. Once it does none of that it may.

pz

then what the hell are the donors doing then?? if we got more donors, could that help? this site may need less bandwidth since all these users are just leaving...

Casey

Staff member
/\ yeah that was the main problem. I loved the shoutbox, but the way that it was operated was shit. That can't be the only shoutbox option for vBulletin though, surely? There must be other shoutbox type mods, I remember installing one on a phpbb based site I was working on and there were about 5 or 6 different kinds to choose from that all operated differently.

You can also integrate IRC within the web browser so you can chat and it won't eat up bandwith. Solves both of the problems. I know Rukas is knowledgeable on it, but I am pressuming it was just a decision on his part? Oh well.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.