This is my thread

Jokerman

people I hope aren't dead or in jail because they haven't posted in a really long time and i don't have their contact info - in no particular order:

Duke
Chronic
Keco (knowing her, she's probably on snapchat)
Salty - hope you holding up man. minny got a solid squad now.
Emma
Amira (Ruk' ex from aus)
SicC
I can tell you Chronic and Emma are ok. (We're in a love triangle except for the hate) No, FB.

Jokerman

It's that time of year again that maybe only Coonie cares about. New shows.

High Maintenance on HBO
Kevin Can Wait- CBS- was funny
Looking forward to:
Designated Survivor - looks good with Keifer
Lethal Weapon
Speechless
Pitch
The Exorcist
MacGyver
Van Helsing
Son of Zorn
Luke Cage

dilla

Trumpfan17 aka Coonie aka Dilla aka Tennis Dog
I know High Maintenance premiered this past Friday. I just didn't get a chance to watch it. It is on my show tracker, though.

I heard Kevin Can Wait was utter trash. I didn't watch too much KoQ, so Kevin James isn't a big draw to me but I'll give it a shot.

I don't know the other shows you listed after that. Luke Cage, I do, but Marvel just makes me think of super heroes and those aren't up my alley, be it movies or TV shows (Jessica Jones, Shield, etc.).

Did you forget about Westworld?

Also, Vice Principals had the most WTF ending I've seen in a long time for a comedy.

Jokerman

Chalk it up to my youth.

So far the only good new shows are:

Wrecked - on TBS- hilarious
Of course, Stranger Things
Atlanta, on FX- if you like black and rap don't sleep on this
The Good Place, NBC- not bad comedy
Van Helsing - on Syfy, if you like the Walking Dead

That is it so far. All those remakes, Exorcist, MacGyver, Lethal Weapon sucked. I'm still watching Designated Survivor only to see if it turns into 24, otherwise sucks. And Kevin Can Wait- not that good after all. Glad to see Superstore get a 2nd season.

dilla

Wrecked is hilarious. So is TBS' other offerings like Angie Tribeca and The Detour. TBS is killing it with their original shows the past two years.

Westworld starts tonight. Fear the Walking Dead season ends tonight. FTWD has been a bit of a bummer. It has hints of being good but then it turns lame and corny, especially the dialogue. TWD has been suffering from the same thing the past few seasons as well.

Stranger Things was good. Luke Cage supposedly broke Netflix today when it was released, but I'm not into super hero stuff. Aside from Stranger Things, Netflix Originals have been kind of bland for me. Love was OK. I couldn't get into Flaked, F is for Family, or Lady Dynamite. Flaked and Dynamite had me interested because of the Arrested Development ties with characters and/or writers but it just didn't click.

Superstore is good. It just is, I don't know why. It feels kind of cookie-cutter but when you get into it a bit, it feels different and a bit refreshing.

I was starting to get tired of You're The Worst. The first season was good because it was just mean people being mean. The depression arc seemed so dramatic for Gretchen that I didn't really care for whatever statement they were trying to make. But now that they've hit on Edgar's PTSD, especially in that last episode, I got emotionally invested in the show again, just for him. The one good guy that gets treated like utter shit. Despite that, he's the most sane, healthiest, best character on that show. Every other character seems to be just exaggerating how big of a bitch or bastard they can be.

Did anyone get into Ash vs Evil Dead? I feel like I need to have seen the movie it was based on to enjoy it and I'm not into old horror/zombie movies. They just turn me off. But it gets so much hype.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
Atlanta is really good, I watch it. The only show I currently follow from week to week. People have compared it to Louie and I can see why.

Insecure will be good. Issa Rae x Larry Willmore. Pilot was hilarious.

I checked out High Maintenance never having watched the web series. It's also...different. I'll continue watching. Excited to check out Westworld tonight.

Will have to check out Wrecked, I guess.

It's Sober October for me so time is on my side. :)

dilla

Now that Louie has finished or has been on hiatus for a real long time, it wasn't that great of a show. I mean, if you wanted a glimpse into the life of a mundane, depressed white male comic, sure, it gave you a good idea of that. I don't think it compares to Atlanta. Different POV, there's actual comedy in it, and you can appreciate the characters more.

That's just how I feel. I watched all of Louie, so it provided some form of entertainment for me. But looking back on it, it wasn't phenomenal. Atlanta isn't either, so far, but I have higher hopes for it because of the cast. Not even because of Glover, but Paper Boi's character is really good and so is his other friend that looks like a dopey Dave Chappelle.

Jokerman

I saw the 1st episode of Ash vs the Evil Dead and found it too gory and silly to keep watching. Cinemax has a show called Quarry that's somewhat good, but it moved too slow for me and I don't like the main character. Two animated shows worth checking out is Son of Zorn, which is mixed animation with live. Not great but watchable. And Legends of Chamberlain Heights on Comedy Central. Many will find it racist or stereotypical but I found it hilarious. It's basically South Park with black characters. I even contacted the creators of the show and we talked. Want to see Frequency on the CW this Wednesday.

Anyone else watching The Last Ship? 3rd season now and the action and suspense is consistently good.

dilla

I've heard of Quarry but haven't had the time to get to it. The only show I got hooked on on Cinemax was The Knick but I don't think it will be returning anytime soon.

Still have to watch Westworld which premiered last night. I watched the double episode season finale of Fear the Walking Dead. That brought back some memories of earlier TWD episodes with all the excitement and drama. It's no masterpiece but the emergence of characters stepping up to the plate was pretty incredible relative to the nature of the show otherwise. Lots of action and a decent amount of suspense.

I still think FTWD was a mistake to greenlight but last night's episode at least gave us hope for next season and where that will take us.

dilla

Holy shit, Westworld stays in my head well after watching it. From the music to The Man in Black. Reddit has a lot of wacky theories about the show and I tried reading them only to realize the people there are fucking autistic and I can't process things at the same wavelength as them. Of course, a lot of the theories are slowly being proved wrong but I think people are thinking way too hard about the show. It definitely makes you think, but as a simple man I just rather see it slowly unfold over episodes rather than make a retarded prediction and then being right. It helped me enjoy the recent season of Mr Robot a lot more because I stayed away from the sub when they were speculating that for the first 5 or so episodes, Elliot was in jail the whole time. That made the unveiling at the end of one of the episodes so much sweeter to see it happen.

Anyway, good show Westworld. Another HBO show that's solid is Insecure. Female version of Atlanta.

Atlanta, now that's a fucking show. I've enjoyed every episode and I love all three main characters, four if you include Ern's GF. It hits on a lot of good issues and it manages to be hilarious at the same time.

Last night's TWD was a nice episode. I don't think TWD has "turned a corner" from the shitty writing of the last...4 seasons....but between the thriller of an episode the season premiere was last week and last night's new character, it was a solid episode. I imagine the season tails off after this until the mid season finale or something.

I have started enjoying LWT with John Oliver again. Still irritating mannerisms, but the stories he's covered have been pretty good. The election stuff, too. I liked the opiate addiction episode. I lost interest in the show when he turned into a liberal sunshine-pumper but more recent stories and some boredom have got me back into it. Even though I didn't watch The Daily Show...daily..or every episode, I think people are missing Jon Stewart a ton for this election because of his work the past three or four elections. I guess a combo of Samantha Bee and Oliver really scratches the itch of the liberals.

masta247

Staff member
We fucked up guys, sorry
It was very interesting watching the American elections. I was thinking how come people are voting between two candidates that apparently over 70% of citizens hate.. isnt that undemocratic and the president should be the person that the majority actually likes?

Then the election system is hilarious to me, how come you guys vote for people who actually vote and how come some peoples votes value less than others depending on states? Isnt that super undemocratic? Thats the first US election Ive watched since Im in Canada and its kind of like a national sport here, but it left me scratching my head.

Also arent there like 4 candidates to choose from and anyone else you can actually put there when you vote? How come it was presented as a choice between 2 candidates that are the worst from the list? That Jill Stein lady for instance sounds like a better choice than Trump. From what I watched it was hard to listen to Hilary and hilarious (no pun) to laugh at trump, but there were actually good candidates! wtf?

I mean, its just very confusing because it seems like the country trying to convert others to democracy isnt all that democratic and employs mechanisms that dont make sense to me, especially since Im yet to hear from a person actually happy about the outcome of the election or the whole election in the first place.

Because it seems like the election process, before (actually two years before!!1) a single person even casts a vote is the whole nation saying : "ok guys, it's decided, we are going to have a shitty president for the next 4 years. For some reason someone out there allowed only 4 people to believe they can become president..jk not really, only two have major marketing budgets, so fuck the other two. So even if nobody likes them and you'd rather have a random neighbor run, well, unfortunately out of our whole nation of great people we have to choose amongst those two for no apparent reason. Kinda like choosing between Coke and Pepsi as our national beverage, to make it easier, plus they have cool christmas ads. Because who the hell likes orange juice or water , and certainly fuck what you PERSONALLY like, nobody cares.
So.. even though we are not happy about either of them becoming president and they're kinda random imho, which one would you kinda hate MORE though if he become our leader? lol ok so let's vote for the other one so the shittier one doesn't win, ok? OOPS, the shittier won. Oh well, let's try again in 4 years.". (not even going into that nonsense parts about states voting for voters and ignoring "less important" states etc). Why?

keco52

Staff member
I'm not active but I am on snapchat still. Though I noticed some subtle jabs for using it, it's like the most non-committal form of social media that requires the least amount of actual interaction, which is my thing. It's for my tier 3 friends. It's cool to know you're still alive but we have nothing to talk about and we're probably never gonna hang out either. But I like looking at your pets and any tiny babbling family members you have.

If we're not friends and we were before, I'm not sure what happened

dilla

We fucked up guys, sorry
You're gonna have to explain this to me. On Facebook you were one of the more vocal anti-Trump people but other social has the same thing you're saying. "Sorry, we fucked up."

Who's the apology for? People act like it's something out of their control but the people around you voted. There was no magic at work here. This wasn't a tornado or a hurricane where it's "uhp, we can't control it, guess we gotta adapt to it and seek shelter or move out."

Most everyone can agree it was an election of choosing between the lesser evils. If Hillary was your "lesser" evil, do you still say the same thing? "Sorry, we fucked up?"

If that was the case, people like you should've said that as soon as the nominees were announced. And even then, you all were slow to the party because it was still too late.

People voted him in. Why are others acting like like some supernatural force put one candidate in front of the other? There are numbers that show, roughly, who voted which way and where from.

I don't get it. I was in the South when Obama won in 08 and it was the same shitty fear-mongering by the rednecks down there. "He's gonna ruin this country. He's a Muslim. He loves ISIS." Forget the attacks on his race.

Same shit now. "He's gonna ruin this country. He's in Russia's pocket." If everyone were as fucking great of a political pundit about how the world works, people wouldn't be crying, literally, as Trump's win as announced last night. You would've seen it coming if you truly had a gauge on what people of this country wanted and how they were going to vote as a result of it. If those people were wrong about who was going to win, then post-election, you probably have no fucking clue what that candidate is going to do now.

I don't give two shits about politics but I stayed up until the very end to hear Trump's speech. And that pathetic tail tucking by Depodesta at Hillary's HQ. And what the news was saying, that Trump swung states Obama had previous dominated in but Clinton faltered in this time, that people were worried more about their jobs and livelihood than immigration (which may or may not play a role in it) made a ton of sense.

The loudest people in this were likely the people that had nothing to lose. This was a popularity contest where no one really had any vested interest in what the results of the elections were. It was simply to take a side for the fuck of it. No different than sports. This is Alabama-Notre Dame for the national championship, when people who didn't watch football at all in the North thought ND was going to dominate Alabama. This is Manny vs Floyd a year ago, when people who couldn't tell you how many rounds were in a boxing match were giving their "expert" opinion on who was going to win. And after the match, had their expert opinion on how the match was rigged or how the fighters could better their technique. This is taking sides in a beef with rappers. Meek Mill vs Drake that becomes even more exaggerated because of social media, memes, and other bullshit.

Most people decrying the election results loudly aren't angry or scared because their lives are affected. They're upset their team lost. Because there were plenty of chances to fix this. If you supported Hillary, your party actively sabotaged a more popular candidate from earning the nominee. People did fuck all about that. I don't know how Trump won the GOP nominee, that's just a head scratcher. People are angry at the results instead of looking to fix the cause of it. And that's what's frustrating.

I do understand that some people are genuinely fearful of what happens next. What Trump has said vs what he'll actually do is another story. But as far as what's on social media and being said elsewhere, I think it's a front. A front that will go away within the next month. Because social media would have had you believe with all the concerts rappers were throwing in support of Hillary, Hillary had this one in the bag. Gucci Mane, Kendrick, Beyonce, Jay-Z all seemed to show support for her. LeBron supported her openly. 538 Sports had their mathematician basically say Hillary had this in the bag. The NYT said Hillary had an 83% of winning.

All those signs pointed to Hillary winning. And she didn't. So all these people, on both sides, that are coming out trying to predict the future and what it means. What the fuck do you know? You couldn't predict a Trump win, you couldn't stop the wrong candidate from your own party from gaining the nominee. It makes you wonder if voters even know what they want for themselves with all these historic states swinging the other way.

If that's what you meant by "we fucked up," then OK. But there was a very long timeline involved in this election, and if you're waiting until the very end, literally, once the winner is announced, to say you fucked up then you're slow as hell and this election and politics is not for you. That's why I stay out of it. But to see these apologists out and free, it's an act. The people really getting fucked by this won't have the time nor the means to casually debate it on the internet. No one living in poverty has time to retweet "dank memes" from Black People Twitter.

ARon

I'll get back to you both later, trying to finish a couple spanish lessons on rosetta stone. that isn't a trump i'm moving out of the country cus of him joke either, lol.

Jokerman has the best fb by the way, always funny

dilla

What.cd got shut down today. Damn. I remember when Oink got shut down while I was still clamoring for an invite. Not it feels nearly ten years from then What.cd goes down.

Rough.

Warez.bb went down a week ago, too. I'd be mad if Spotify didn't get me my music. Or if I listened to music as much as I did years ago.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.