The Official Read this Good Book Thread

Street Justice by Chuck Zito

Some of you might know him as 1 of the Italians on Oz. He's an actor, bodyguard, stunt man, retired Hell's Angel, a Golden Gloves boxer, and a black belt in JuJitsu and Karate.

His book is definitely hard to put down once you start readin it. Even if you dont like Biography's, because he's got some great stories from being a Hell's Angel and being in prison for 6 years, as well as being a bodyguard of many stars. I highly recommend this book to anyone.

im not gonna look through ten pages of shit, but i'd say angels and demons, and deception point, both by dan brown.....they're supposedly historically and technologically correct, meaning the cool gadgets used in the book by the characters actually exists in real life.....which i think is cool..

Any one know any good poetry books ?
i got the rose that grew from the concrete pac was and is tha best poet ever any one know any silimar books like this ?
xox

kimbo_thug said:
Any one know any good poetry books ?
i got the rose that grew from the concrete pac was and is tha best poet ever any one know any silimar books like this ?
Try Amazon.com with a search for poetry books. They got loads of recommendations on there, and reviews as well :thumb:

I am currently reading 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, by Robert M Pirsig'. I'm half way through it and think its one hell of a good book, very deep with some interesting perspectives and insight, into values.

breakfast of champions by kurt vonnegut.....i had to read it for summer reading, but was recommended to me over other books by someone on this board..very good book though...i just love satire...

Reading a book now called 'Krishnamurti's Notebook' by Jiddu Krishnamurti himself.

It is a personal diary of insight/wisdom; a good book and one of his best, or so I am told.

check out "The Life of Pi" by Yann Martel....we just read it in World Lit. but it's one of those few school books that you actually read and dont sparknote...very good story...

Check out: the monk who sold his ferrari. Alot of my friends who read the book make a shitlod of changes for the better.

Try also: the picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde. Has alot of great quotes and shows you what kind of an influence bad friends can make of people.

Ristol

New York's Ambassador
Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto by Chuck Klosterman. He's a rock critic for Spin, and one of the best writers working today. Other good books of his: Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story & Fargo Rock City: A Heavy Metal Odyssey in Rural North Dakota.

I just started reading the Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett. I can see myself reading them all, the first - Colour of Magic - was great ... only 25 more books to go!

The Big Year: A Tale of Man, Nature, and Fowl Obsession by Mark Obmascik. The book is about one mans quest to spot the most species of birds during the course of the year. Doesnt sound very interesting right? Well I got the book just because I was starting to get into bird watching but I was really surprised how good the book was. Very interesting and at times really funny. I would reccomend it to anyone even if you are not into birds.

Hagakure: book of the Samurai.

This is a book on par with Sun Tzu's -

The
Art
Of war, and also the 'Book of Five Rings' by a different author.

I thought this thread was a sticky? What happened to it, I nearly coudn't find it.

I recommend On War by Carl Von Clausewitz

I bought it recently and am working my way through it now. It's a book you would want to read if you like sun tzus the art of war or the prince by machiavelli.

Another classic book on military strategy.

Shadows

Great Books?

Anyone got any experience on great books?

I recommend these few, I will give a little synopsis on them:

Lucky: - Alice Sebold- About an 18 yr old college freshman woman getting raped. Based on her life story. Yet, after everything happens, she calls herself Lucky. So it only gets worse.

Down These Mean Streets:
-Piri Thomas- A great book about his life growing up as a dark skinned Puerto Rican suffering racism even in his own family. He goes through life in Spanish Harlem in the early 1900's dealing with drugs, street fighting, armed robbery....etc...VERY detailed. (Sex scene too for you pervs.)

A Good Man Is Hard To Find: -Flannery O' Connor- Short stories. My favorite is the title of the book, a good man is hard to find.

The Things They Carried: -Tim O Brien - Short stories about men carrying emotional/physical burdens about wars, very interesting and insightful.

Also this play I read for English class a while back:

The Piano Lesson: August Wilson - About a family with the slave history inscribed on a piano. In the play, the characters fight and learn valuable lessons in life. The play won a Pulitzer prize.

JD Salinger- Catcher in the Rye, Nine Stories, Franny and Zooey, Raise high roof beam Carpenters and Seymour: an Introduction.
-my personal favorite, all about a poet who committed suicide at the age of 31.

F Scott Fitzgerald-This Side of Paradise, Beautiful and the Damned, Great Gatsby, Tender is the night, Love of the last Tycoon

Ring Lardner (not his son)- Any short story collection

Aldous Huxley- Time must have a stop, Ape and Essence, Crome Yellow, Island

The Complete Poetical works of John Keats and Percy Shelley

Sherwood Anderson- Winesburg, Ohio

Book Fishing rule of thumb- if the author is alive (excluding Salinger) do not read.

Snowman

didnt Tyler Perry do a movie called a Good Man is Hard To Find??

im reading right now *The Yankee Years* by Joe Torre. good read if you want to know the insight of Clemens, A-Rod and how Steinbrenner was as a person. and if you like baseball in general

Euphanasia

a wolf at the table - Augusten Burroughs. Best book i ever read.

the god delusion - richard dawkins. i'm halfway through it and it's phenomenal. everyone should read this book.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.