This is my thread

Preach

I'm giving thanks that I'm not living in the USA
What are your (brief) thoughts on Brexit?

How are things over in England, like actually, after you left? It's hard for me to really get a grasp of whether something's actually changed for you, and whether positive or negative. Question maybe sounds loaded but I'm just curious lol.

Oh, and while I have you here. Same question regarding King Charles. Yay or nay? :p

And lastly. Do you watch "The Crown" and what do you think about the controversies?

dilla

Trumpfan17 aka Coonie aka Dilla aka Tennis Dog
This is interesting. We're not celebrating thanksgiving over here, but for christmas there are some dishes that are basically like your turkeys. What everyone eats that day. And lately it's become trendy for people to have something else on christmas eve. I can't speak to thanksgiving, but we're gonna have oven baked pork ribs with red cabbage and sauerkraut on christmas eve, like every year, and then boiled matured smoked mutton with mashed kohlrabi and carrots on christmas day, like every year. And I am so fucking excited for it!
Speaking of cabbage and sauerkraut, I've been eating more Polish food recently and actually had dinner reservations last night at a German spot last night before plans changed. We have a Polish deli/grocery store near us and I got introduced to Polish food recently and I really like this deli for dishes. I've heard a lot of people shit on sauerkraut but I kind of like it. At least cabbage-based dishes I've eaten so far.

I've had proper German food once or twice before but one of those places was fucking EPCOt at Disneyland lol. It was just a brat with kraut on it in a bun. The other place was small restaurant and I had a schnitzel. The place I was going to go to last night was a bit nicer and had a wide variety of German food other than schnitzels. I was excited for their sausage platter, no homo.

Also, gun to my head, I could not tell you a single English dish, despite spending my first 5 years in the UK. They do have amazing snacks and chips and biscuits, but actual food? Most I remember is fish and chips, which is great. Shepherd's pie? I get one frozen, occasionally, from the store but it's from Marie Callendar's lol. So not that authentic.

Our local shops do carry some British snacks and such like Jaffa cakes and McVities biscuits. And my dad is a still a simp for British tea from his 14 years in the UK so we have PG Tips at Tetley's that both my parents drink. And he also orders clothes and tea from Marks and Spencer's online. I still have yet to find a place that sells Penguin cookies and Hula Hoops. Amazon does but it comes out to like $2 for a small, kid-size packet. Milkbars are pretty nice, though. I loved chocolate buttons from Cadbury's and Milkbar as a kid and while you see Cadbury's stuff occasionally at the stores here, it's not the buttons.

Preach

Speaking of cabbage and sauerkraut, I've been eating more Polish food recently and actually had dinner reservations last night at a German spot last night before plans changed. We have a Polish deli/grocery store near us and I got introduced to Polish food recently and I really like this deli for dishes. I've heard a lot of people shit on sauerkraut but I kind of like it. At least cabbage-based dishes I've eaten so far.
Hey, I actually don't eat the sauerkraut. I got a thing with sour stuff. I don't eat sweet n sour, I don't eat anything with vinegar in it, nothing with sour cream, nothing with cottage cheese. Also not a fan of cheeses. No milk cream in my sauces please. Just anything that comes from a cow's udders disgusts me... unless it's mild white cheese that's melted in the oven. I don't eat white cheese other than on pizza/lasagna/other italian dishes. Cheese basically needs to be grilled, which takes out a component of the taste that all non grilled cheeses have. I hate mature cheeses, whether grilled or not. Semi-mature mild white cheese can be acceptable if mixed with something like gouda or mozzarella, but then it needs to be grilled. Which is kinda weird because I love beef. But anyway, thanks for listening to my TED talk about me, I was gonna say:

Sauerkraut and other dishes like it I think have to do with conservation methods more than palette. If you grew up in a place where that method of conservation was widespread, you'll likely have fond memories and it's kinda embedded into your holidays. Sauerkraut and red cabbage is like that on christmas. Potatoes, carrots, carrot/kohlrabi stew are common side dishes, and then the "main course" is either stockfish, oven-baked atlantic cod, smoked matured lamb ribs, or straight pork ribs. I mean traditionally. So most people eat one of those on Christmas eve. Stockfish and smoked matured lamb ribs are very typical norwegian foods with a characteristic taste that you get used to, and end up loving. But they're not good good like a pizza is. Neither is sauerkraut. Nor sourcream, mature cheese, or indeed any other conserved food I say. Not at surface level anyway. From a newborn baby's perspective, they all require you to get used to them, and then its being used to them + emotions you connect to the foods through experiences that make the food good. Not the taste itself in a puristic way. I'm not saying this is how things are, I'm just saying I think this is a thing.

I've had proper German food once or twice before but one of those places was fucking EPCOt at Disneyland lol. It was just a brat with kraut on it in a bun. The other place was small restaurant and I had a schnitzel. The place I was going to go to last night was a bit nicer and had a wide variety of German food other than schnitzels. I was excited for their sausage platter, no homo.
This is not German, but if you never had "boeuf bourguignon" then you need to have it. I'm not sure how to put this. You need to follow the recipe down to the cut of the animal you use (rib roast). If you do, you are in for one of the most savoury dishes I can think of. It is probably my favorite dish out of every dish, ever. No, make that second. My favorite dish, that i could eat daily for the rest of my life, is actually bacalao. The dryfish you use in bacalao is more of a love it or hate it kinda thing, but boeuf bourguignon is like french bolognese or something lol. Just utterly good tasting, even the young ones will agree.

Also, gun to my head, I could not tell you a single English dish, despite spending my first 5 years in the UK. They do have amazing snacks and chips and biscuits, but actual food? Most I remember is fish and chips, which is great. Shepherd's pie? I get one frozen, occasionally, from the store but it's from Marie Callendar's lol. So not that authentic.
I never thought those words to myself internally, but that's both a shrewd and interesting observation I agree with. I could've named Shepherd's pie but actually wasn't sure whether that's american. Isn't there a similar pie dish that's american? with meat inside? but you don't put mashed potatoes on, you use pie dough and probably other stuff as well.

edit: found it. this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_pie
this looks like something i'd love to eat the day after a drunken night out.

Last edited:

Jokerman

We talked about this years ago. When I think of English food, I think of meat wrapped in a fried-bread thing. Meat pies, sausages, black pudding, and crumpets. I don't associate those things with any other cuisine. Beef Wellington and Yorkshire pudding, obviously English dishes.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
What are your (brief) thoughts on Brexit?

How are things over in England, like actually, after you left? It's hard for me to really get a grasp of whether something's actually changed for you, and whether positive or negative. Question maybe sounds loaded but I'm just curious lol.
Hard to tell really. Everything could be attributed to the impact from covid, or the impact of everyone spending after covid and the resultant rapid inflation. The whole world is dealing with the same problems. So can't really link them back to Brexit...

The attitudes towards Brexit are extremely divided. It reminds me of American politics. There's very few areas of middle ground and you're either fully for or fully against. There is no understanding of why people voted the way they voted, instead people will insult each other.

Oh, and while I have you here. Same question regarding King Charles. Yay or nay? :p
I'm not a fan of the monarchy really, but Charles seems to know that in order for them to survive they need to be in the background.

And lastly. Do you watch "The Crown" and what do you think about the controversies?
Never seen an episode. What are the controversies?

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
We talked about this years ago. When I think of English food, I think of meat wrapped in a fried-bread thing. Meat pies, sausages, black pudding, and crumpets. I don't associate those things with any other cuisine. Beef Wellington and Yorkshire pudding, obviously English dishes.
I think these are probably post ww2 recipes. I mostly eat food from Thailand, Vietnam, the Philippines etc

I think a lot of people in the UK eat like Americans. Heavy on the processed

Preach

Never seen an episode. What are the controversies?
I don't watch it either, but my parents do. The "controversies" is really just one big controversy, which is that they misrepresent the truth for dramatic effect, which is nothing out of the ordinary. In the beginning it was more subtle, but as the seasons progressed, they took larger and larger artistic liberties for the sake of the dramaturgy. As that unfolded, a movement arose that asked for Netflix to put a disclaimer before episodes which states that this is an altered representation of the truth. So as far as I gather it, there is nothing to suggest that this isn't a 1:1 representation of what actually happened, neither during the intro or during credits. You just kinda have to know. In particular, when the show was dealing with the princess Diana "era", there was a lot of backlash due to how they portrayed it, and they refused to listen to it, and didn't add any disclaimer. Instead, they went out and actively spoke against doing so. So, for someone that didn't live during those times, the show gives a very false portrayal of what actually happened. Which is comparable to re-writing history, considering how many young people are watching it around the world. Real historians will know what's up regardless of a Netflix show, no problem there, but this is an issue similar to the echo chambers that social media algorithms create. It acts to separate people's understanding of history and the truth, which is polarizing and unhealthy for society. And last but not least, wholly unrighteous.

Maybe I've extrapolated some of that, but that's what I gather is the controversy. I was hoping you'd have seen it because you prolly have a better grasp of everything that's happened with the royal family, considering you live there. So I was basically hoping you could come in here and set the record straight on that show. If you haven't seen it, I guess there's not much to say. :p

Last edited:

Preach

Did I tell y'all I've joined an order? It's called the "Odd Fellow" order. It's super weird and... super dope at the same time. Anyone else been a part of anything like that?

https://odd-fellows.org/

Tonight I wore a full evening suit. I gotta tell ya, if you never wore one of those you owe yourself to try one. Now that's baller. Pour out a little liqour style.

Jokerman

Yeah, The Crown takes dramatic license with the truth sometimes. Netflix has put a disclaimer on their website but not at the beginning of the show. I hear Prince Harry still likes it because it's close enough and he wants to be portrayed as a Nazi. (kidding, but he does like it).

The Odd Fellow order. Very odd. I think it's mostly about making friends who are "nice" people who want to help others. I'm thinking of joining the Brexit Bruvs.

dilla

Hey, I actually don't eat the sauerkraut. I got a thing with sour stuff. I don't eat sweet n sour, I don't eat anything with vinegar in it, nothing with sour cream, nothing with cottage cheese. Also not a fan of cheeses. No milk cream in my sauces please. Just anything that comes from a cow's udders disgusts me... unless it's mild white cheese that's melted in the oven. I don't eat white cheese other than on pizza/lasagna/other italian dishes. Cheese basically needs to be grilled, which takes out a component of the taste that all non grilled cheeses have. I hate mature cheeses, whether grilled or not. Semi-mature mild white cheese can be acceptable if mixed with something like gouda or mozzarella, but then it needs to be grilled. Which is kinda weird because I love beef. But anyway, thanks for listening to my TED talk about me, I was gonna say:

Sauerkraut and other dishes like it I think have to do with conservation methods more than palette. If you grew up in a place where that method of conservation was widespread, you'll likely have fond memories and it's kinda embedded into your holidays. Sauerkraut and red cabbage is like that on christmas. Potatoes, carrots, carrot/kohlrabi stew are common side dishes, and then the "main course" is either stockfish, oven-baked atlantic cod, smoked matured lamb ribs, or straight pork ribs. I mean traditionally. So most people eat one of those on Christmas eve. Stockfish and smoked matured lamb ribs are very typical norwegian foods with a characteristic taste that you get used to, and end up loving. But they're not good good like a pizza is. Neither is sauerkraut. Nor sourcream, mature cheese, or indeed any other conserved food I say. Not at surface level anyway. From a newborn baby's perspective, they all require you to get used to them, and then its being used to them + emotions you connect to the foods through experiences that make the food good. Not the taste itself in a puristic way. I'm not saying this is how things are, I'm just saying I think this is a thing.

This is not German, but if you never had "boeuf bourguignon" then you need to have it. I'm not sure how to put this. You need to follow the recipe down to the cut of the animal you use (rib roast). If you do, you are in for one of the most savoury dishes I can think of. It is probably my favorite dish out of every dish, ever. No, make that second. My favorite dish, that i could eat daily for the rest of my life, is actually bacalao. The dryfish you use in bacalao is more of a love it or hate it kinda thing, but boeuf bourguignon is like french bolognese or something lol. Just utterly good tasting, even the young ones will agree.

I never thought those words to myself internally, but that's both a shrewd and interesting observation I agree with. I could've named Shepherd's pie but actually wasn't sure whether that's american. Isn't there a similar pie dish that's american? with meat inside? but you don't put mashed potatoes on, you use pie dough and probably other stuff as well.

edit: found it. this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_pie
this looks like something i'd love to eat the day after a drunken night out.

Yeah, pot pie is what came to mind when you mentioned it before linking to it. It's OK. It's definitely a heavy meal that puts you to sleep and usually is chicken and some vegetables in a thick gravy.

Sucks about not liking cheese or being able to handle it. Or dairy, in general. I love cheese and would probably give up meat before giving up cheese.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Did I tell y'all I've joined an order? It's called the "Odd Fellow" order. It's super weird and... super dope at the same time. Anyone else been a part of anything like that?

https://odd-fellows.org/

Tonight I wore a full evening suit. I gotta tell ya, if you never wore one of those you owe yourself to try one. Now that's baller. Pour out a little liqour style.

Not my thing. But I wear a tuxedo and bowtie very often. It's the dress code to awards evenings and charity dinners etc.... I'm a bit of a big deal

keco52

Staff member
I love sauerkraut. My Grandparents lived in Germany the first few years of their marriage so a lot of my comfort foods are German. I also worked for Aldi and they had German week twice a year so that was nice.

dilla

I love sauerkraut. My Grandparents lived in Germany the first few years of their marriage so a lot of my comfort foods are German. I also worked for Aldi and they had German week twice a year so that was nice.

I haven't been to an Aldi in a long-ass time. My parents used to go when we lived in England back in the early-90s. Then when we moved to Chicago, there was one in a rough neighborhood near our apartment. We went a few times and then just went to other places instead.

Now they've been popping up over the past 15 years in more affluent areas and people are going nuts over them.

I'll have to go. There's one near my house and I think I went close to ten years ago. I used to like their off-brand chips and cereal lol

I am very grateful for the NHS in the UK, however, I need an urgent operation and have been advised I am looking for at least a 2-year wait. Putting it bluntly if I have to wait two years, I won't be here as I cannot continue to live in this amount of pain. I have no option but to go private and get it done by March. Now going to cost me thousands of pounds that I don't have :(

I am very grateful for the NHS in the UK, however, I need an urgent operation and have been advised I am looking for at least a 2-year wait. Putting it bluntly if I have to wait two years, I won't be here as I cannot continue to live in this amount of pain. I have no option but to go private and get it done by March. Now going to cost me thousands of pounds that I don't have :(
Sorry Katie. I will contemplate your pain and wish for better. Have you considered crowdfunding?

You shouldn't feel awful!!

The reason I bring it up is because I've seen so many people getting donations for trivial material needs in the US. Your situation sounds more urgent and nobody should be forced to wait that long for an operation!

After all said and done, it's the same "social protection" that the government should be providing, instead you're going grassroots! :)

Preach

If you set up a GoFundMe I will surely donate some tangible but not super-helpful amount of money, share it in the 2pac discord, and on my Facebook page as "help my friend get this surgery". Which isn't much but the point here is: you should really put yourself out there. I see GoFundMe pages like this raking in money all the time. Nobody should have to live that way. Let it be up to people whether they want to help you, which a lot of people will if you let them Katie.

If you want, we could set it up in a way where it's my name saying something like "help my friend get this" and it's your bank account number and everything else. Or someone else on here that feels like they know katie and she trusts them, offer to tread in my place. Not to be shady, but if that would help you feel comfortable getting the help you deserve, swallow your pride. That's a pragmatic approach to overcoming that which bothers you the way I see it. Put it in your name or put it in someone else's, but don't die on principle while the Kardashians make billions. Please, lol.

My brother had a daughter this year. She was born with a disease called "SMA" which is a muscle atrophy syndrome. Her lookout was: iron lung before the age of 1, dead before the age of 2. But there is this super advanced treatment, which basically they injected her with some kinda something that went into all her cells and changed the DNA in every single one of her cells, curing her of the disease. The treatment costs 2 million british pounds. Due to our health care system, she got it for free. The funny thing is, our hospitals started screening for this syndrome 3 months before she was born. Had she been concieved 3 months earlier, she would have died a horrible death. But our system where I live is such that she was able to get the treatment without my brother and his wife having to pay anything. 2 million pounds per treatment, For free. Don't feel embarassed. Feel enraged that someone is making money off of that which could cure you. And let it be up to the world to take care of you. This is why more than half the money we make in Norway goes to taxes. We live great lives with lots of bacon with our eggs, but at the same time, something fucked up happens like your child is born with a disease we have a treatment for, and the goverment can afford that too. There are so many people out there that would give from their wealth so that you could have a life. Please reconsider.

Last edited:
If you set up a GoFundMe I will surely donate some tangible but not super-helpful amount of money, share it in the 2pac discord, and on my Facebook page as "help my friend get this surgery". Which isn't much but the point here is: you should really put yourself out there. I see GoFundMe pages like this raking in money all the time. Nobody should have to live that way. Let it be up to people whether they want to help you, which a lot of people will if you let them Katie.

If you want, we could set it up in a way where it's my name saying something like "help my friend get this" and it's your bank account number and everything else. Or someone else on here that feels like they know katie and she trusts them, offer to tread in my place. Not to be shady, but if that would help you feel comfortable getting the help you deserve, swallow your pride. That's a pragmatic approach to overcoming that which bothers you the way I see it. Put it in your name or put it in someone else's, but don't die on principle while the Kardashians make billions. Please, lol.

My brother had a daughter this year. She was born with a disease called "SMA" which is a muscle atrophy syndrome. Her lookout was: iron lung before the age of 1, dead before the age of 2. But there is this super advanced treatment, which basically they injected her with some kinda something that went into all her cells and changed the DNA in every single one of her cells, curing her of the disease. The treatment costs 2 million british pounds. Due to our health care system, she got it for free. The funny thing is, our hospitals started screening for this syndrome 3 months before she was born. Had she been concieved 3 months earlier, she would have died a horrible death. But our system where I live is such that she was able to get the treatment without my brother and his wife having to pay anything. 2 million pounds per treatment, For free. Don't feel embarassed. Feel enraged that someone is making money off of that which could cure you. And let it be up to the world to take care of you. This is why more than half the money we make in Norway goes to taxes. We live great lives with lots of bacon with our eggs, but at the same time, something fucked up happens like your child is born with a disease we have a treatment for, and the goverment can afford that too. There are so many people out there that would give from their wealth so that you could have a life. Please reconsider.
Thank you so much for this. It really means a lot to me. It has been so hard, am on strong antidepressants due to several attempts to take my own life. I would be extremely grateful if someone set this up for me. I am happy to share all of the details, I have no shame in talking about it anymore even though it is a women's issue.

I have no life, am in pain 24/7 and constantly bleed (sorry for TMI)

Your post means a lot and I am humbled that people care. I am so sorry about your niece and am glad she got the treatment that she needed xxxx

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online