Need advice about lifestyle advice

Preach

I'm looking for some help with building a new life style. I've started doing relatively basic and simple workouts to get started. I've been feeling a surge of energy and it's really good for my selfesteem, and I want to go serious about this. I started working out once in high school, and stayed with it for 1-1,5 years. I started again a couple of years ago but the interest diminished quick. This time around I have a very different motivation.

I have been reading around the web. There's so many bullshit articles about excercise and diet, and it's kind of overwhelming for me to digest it all. Then there's all the contradictions. One site that seems kind of solid is trackyourdiet.com. The articles there seem factually informed, and they aren't trying to sell you ideas to the same extent as, say, burnthefat.com. Anyone know the site that can agree or disagree? Any tips for website hubs with good articles about changing lifestyle (and how to)?

One thing in particular that's difficult for me is diet. Long story short, I was too spoiled. It's still a real problem for me. Many foods and textures put me off, and eating new foods is a somewhat traumatic experience for me lol. I've broadened my taste greatly in the past year, and - I think - enough so that I can start to work out a healthy and varied diet.

What I want to do is lose fat, build muscle, tone it. Basically get a good looking and healthy body, all at one fell swoop. I know that's impossible so I'm gonna get started and feel this thing out intuitively and first-hand. That's how I learn best. Like I said, I started some very general workouts. Pushups, situps (which I'm contemplating exchanging for a couple of excercises I saw in some P90X demonstrational video lol :p) and 1-2hr walks.

The picture on the left is roughly similar to my current body shape. I have a little more flab though. My current aim is something like this:

And yes, this is making me very aroused. I don't have a set time that I want to complete this within. I don't know what's realistic. And I assume it's very individual, so I just want to get started. So back to working out and dieting then. I am starting out really easy so as to not discourage myself. I am doing this by feel. It feels better and more fun every time, and having 1-3 day breaks between sessions is helping me build positive associations. If my muscles feel sore the next day, I wait another. I am starting to get worried now that I'll do something wrong, and do something counter-productive because I'm not dieting right. So like I said above, some foods and textures I just can't swallow for now. So I know that except for things like zinc, magnesium, fatty acids, vitamins etc. I will be needing carbs, proteins and fat. I don't remember the ratio, but something like 10-15% fat, 20-30% proteins and rest carbs should be estimately right. I don't think percentage points is what will make a huge difference for my outcome in the beginning, and like I said, I want to learn this "by feel" as well as theoretically. I am eating omega-3 supplements atm, but zinc/magnesium/vitamin supplements I consider for the intermediate. Silly of me? I just don't wanna get overwhelmed at the start. At some point, when that's the only way to improve, it'll be natural to take that route. But I don't wanna have to make a checklist of chores I need to do that feel pointless when I don't even know what I'm supposed to be feeling for to feel that it's doing something. Or whatever. Silly?

I don't know if I'm ignorant about a phrase or word I should be using but I'm trying to find lists where suggestions for the three categories of fuel are listed from most to least preferred/healthy. That would help me sew together a diet accustomed to my narrow taste in foods. Anyone got something like that? Because once you get into it, there's the density of fibres, density of proteins, and so forth. Most lists list foods that give you one of the three, but does it make a difference if I get my carbs from oats or from wholegrain wheat? Does it matter if I get proteins from meat or fish? Should I eat 3 servings of fish a week for the fatty acids, or because the proteins are different to those in other protein rich foods?

Couple of quick questions:
- I know I shouldn't eat for at least 1 hour after a workout session. Any similar rule for before the workout session?
- When during the day should I be eating my big meal?
- Any typical noobie errors or other starting advice I should take with me?

Chronic

I'd first try to lose the weight you want and then start building muscle.
A lot of cardio and some very basic training with weights to lose weight and rebuild your stamina. It's not going to be entirely accurate of course but you can do a search for "daily calorie calculator weight loss" and compare a couple of sites. They should tell you how many calories you need to stay under and how many calories you do need. So minimum and maximum. Good amount of protein to keep you from losing muscle while you're losing weight. Avoid carbs as much as possible, especially sugars. Avoid saturated fats. Avoid brown people. One thing that might help is to (if you don't already) look at the nutrition label on the things you buy. If you notice a bag of chips is 1/4 or 1/3 of your recommended daily calorie intake it may put you off of it. If you're having trouble eating healthy every day and watching what you eat you should just have 1 "pig-out" meal per week. Not a pig-out day though, just a I-don't-give-a-fuck-right-now dinner.

Eat well before you work out. I think that's it for me.

Shadows

It really depends how over weight or w/e ur bosy is.

I'd just work out and eat about the same to lose the fat n turn it into muscle/cut like with low weight, 3 sets of 15 reps. Once u start losing it, eat like crazy n lift heavier.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
This is what p90x is all about. It addresses your diet. Whether it works or not, is debatable. But I have heard good things.

ARon

lol chronic. avoid brown people

It's good you're doing push ups and sit ups but there are a lot of other body weight exercises and cardio exercises you can do like squats and mountain climbers for instance. Planks and variations of them are important too. One thing you should really concentrate on is your core. Being that you don't work out much it will be very beneficial to you to have good core strength for when you do start doing heavy lifting. Not only will it help you with proper technique it will actually help you achieve quicker gains since you're working out the right way. Something good for beginners to use, and they can also be used for some advanced workouts, are kettlebells. I know people who workout with those only and achieve their goals. If you have access to a kettlebell I'd use it. I have an .epub of this book called The 4-hour Body I'll try to get uploaded. It has lot of good info in it, but then it has some crazy shit in it that I just wouldn't do. I'm just bringing it up cus he says some great stuff about the kettlebell and how to use it.

When I have more time I'll try to say a lot more.

I subscribe to this Men's Health newsletter, it has a lot of bullshit but then it has some good info too, and they always send workouts and new exercises and random shit but I they're pretty big on body weight exercising. I'd browse their site and see what you could find.

Here's something quick:
http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/body-weight-exercise

I know it's hard but what you eat is more important than any type of exercise you can do. Dude in the photo you showed obviously has a six pack or whatever. A million sit ups won't get you that. Getting rid of your body fat will. An easy way to start cutting calories is watching what you drink. Get rid of the sugary drinks and so on, I'm sure you know. And then with the actual eating part just make it easy on yourself. Just eat right, your body knows when it's full so pay attention to it. You're smart enough to know when you're eating something bad and when you're overeating so just don't do it lol. Don't make it hard on yourself by trying to follow some strict diet and all this bullshit.

Preach

Ty for good responses. Yeah on that site I mentioned I read a lot about the idea of "spot reduction" and how it's not the way it works.

And yeah, what you said at the end there ARon. I really have bad experiences with trying to go on a strict regime. I never stick to it. Diet, workout or self discipline. This time around I'm starting out soft. Playing around with it.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Ill be honest with you, fuck all that shit.

Go on a power lifting regime, lots of squats and dead lifts, full body three times a week. Build a strong core. Keep track of your calories and eat a lot of clean food, you'll get a good looking strong core and burn fat.

Oh, and cut out carbs, all carbs. Stick to high protein, lean meat, good fats diet.

The.Menace

Staff member
Hm, I think you should worry about your workouts before you worry about diet that much if you ..... consider an 1 hour walk as part of your workout.

The good thing as noobie is that there are so many things to learn and so many ways to make your workout more efficient plus you don't need too much stuff, while at least later on, a gym might be necessary (depending on your goals)... I think it's better to go step by step, so don't worry too much about diet and hardcore workout now. the key to workout is to be consistent. Many people start working out 5 times a week and quit after 3 months. You can go a long way with two workouts a week if those workouts are intensive&right, instead of running out of motivation after 3 months, if you really make it part of you new lifestyle. So don't over do it, it's important to keep going. And as the time goes by, you can work out more if you feel like it, and learn about eating right. After all, this is a process. People usually don't change overnight, not permanently. It seems to me like first of all, you should just try to get better in shape, loss some weight. Don't worry about building muscles right now, but set short time goals..... like make yourself a 4 weeks workout plan, stick to it, and if you managed that, maybe look for more and harder exercices. You want to work out at home and not to join a gym, right?

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
I don't agree. A 4 week work out plan will show little results and he will get discouraged.

He needs to lay a foundation and do a 5x5 powerlifting regime. I wish someone had told me that when I started, actually they did, but I didn't listen. I'm about to start a 12 week power lifting plan myself.

A strong core will add mass, and burn fat. Once he has that, he can focus on individual bodyparts. I garantee you if you tell him to make a 4 week plan on his own he'll focus on chest and arms and do little to no squats or core work.

Trust me dude, I can get you powerful in 12 weeks with 45 mins in the gym 3 times a week. Simple full body compound lifts.

The.Menace

Staff member
I agree ruk, in general. Like I said before, 2 times or 3 times a week is enough if you do it right. About the 4 week plan, well - I think he should first handle 4 weeks and then look further, if you con't handle 4 weeks you won't handle 12 weeks .... or a couple of years.In a case like this, I assume Preach isn't in great shape, I think you should start a little slower than go all the way to powerlifting right away. Plus, the question is, is he willing to join a gym?

Preach

Im in my phone so this will be brief. But yea, im in poor shape. The walks are just what you described, something i manage to incorporate into my life without dread. I most definitely will be willing to join a gym. I know one where swimming is an option. Is it a good warmup excercise? But yeah, before i start there i wanna at least be able to go for the second or third set of manuals if you know what i mean. Sucks going on the bottom shelf :p

For starters i will try and cut half my calories. Same principle here as with the training, im scared i wont be able to keep up a no carb diet in the long run if i cut it all at once. Ill definitely take your advice on focusing on core as well. But you had me pegges with chest/arms :p and so i understand i need to really push myself to see improvement fast. How often should i be putting more weight on? How "hard" should it feel to be sure i get the most out of it? I guess this depends on the excercise. For a noobie like me, is there like a general amount of sets and reps i should aim for, for any and all excersises?

The.Menace

Staff member
Well, swimming can be a nice thing to add to your workout, esp if you want to lose weight. But again you have to set yourself goals and try to improve (speed, time, length). good thing about swimming is that it's a healthy activity in terms of ... people with knee problems for example might not like running, swimming is a good alternative.
Cutting your calories in half might be even too much, depending on what you eat now. You just gotta understand that your weight depens on the calories you eat and the energy you burn. If it's the same, you stay the same weight, if it's a plus you likley add weight, if the balance is minues you lose weight. Therefore there are two ways that you approach this, you control your calories and your try to be more active. Anyway, cutting your calories in half AND like.....triple your activity might be too extreme and actually, also not necessary. The bauty of that fitness thing is, like I said before, that actually if you are consistent, it doesn't take soo much time and you don't have to miss out on everything. Also good old powerlifter rukas has a beer every now and then, ;).
So first of all, find out how much you eat now, regulary. Then try to cut calories. In some old literature that I read, they said you should go for 400 cals below your balance. Plus, understand that less calories doesn't mean to eat less. You might have to learn to eat different but you don't have to run around hungry all the time.

Well. About reps and sets. Usually, I'd say to build up muscles you should aim under 12 reps. So that can (and SHOULD, but that is advanced weight lifting) vary from time to time. For you as out of shape newbie, it's ok to do more reps at the beginning. In my opinion, someone like you should have a little start up time, before you really go to the hard exercices. If you ask how hard you lift. Well, you go to the point where you muscles fail and beyond of course, most likley every time. That is also the hard part about it, not the total time you invest into weight lifting, but the fact you need a lot of motivation to put that onyourself - every other day...... But, again. for you. as out of shape newbie, I don't think that's how you should start. That's where you want to go one day.The rest of your questions about sets and exercices etc can not really be anwsered because it just depens on your programm. Of course exercices might work the same muscles etc so that just depens on how you do it. (for example if I only did 2 exercices for one muscle group I used to do 3-4 sets each or I did 3 exercices with maybe 2-3 sets, etc. ... that's not so important, actually. If the basics are right and you work out hard).

To join a gym is after all, if you are serious, not a bad idea. Because there is a trainer there that will (or should) tell you the basics and show you basic exercice. After a short start up phase there, you can come back and we can discuss advanced stuff. Also in A gym, you should be able to do all kind of exercices ... also Rukas's approach. So that's a plus. If you reall really really wanna build up muscles, you need weight lifting. If you want to lose weight and get in better shape, you might be able to it at home (body weight exercices, running, etc).

After all, the most important thing is, that this is a very personal thing. There are basics and principles that have proven to work. Learn these, use these. But if we go into detail, this is a very personal thing. By that I mean, you gotta understand your own body and as time goes by, you'll make your work out plan the way you feel is best for you. Some people need more rest than others, some people react different toa certain exercice that others.

Preach

Nah, but really, thanks for taking the time. I read all you guys' replies but I went to Germany not long after making the thread. Thanks for everyone's input.

Since then I've indeed signed up for a gym. And another acitivity (besides volleyball lol) that's working well for me now is playing squash. I just came home from a session. It really drains me but it feels good, and it's fun. So now I'm up to two organized workouts per week. I'm gonna start working in some more, basic excercises using machines. Volleyball and squash is at the start of the week so I'm gonna try to get one more workout per week on thursday/friday. Then I'm basically working out 3 nights a week over none, that's a huge improvement. I might just be excited and ahead of myself but it feels like I feel (lol) better already.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.