The Bible promotes rape, murder, inferior status of women and human sacrifice...

I find it shocking how society chooses to singularly focus on Islam, taking out of context and readily misinterpreting it's holy text... consequently being quick to question the status of women, freedom of speech, and it's laws, but fail to even acknowledge the many many explicit questionable facets of the bible (to which they proclaim to live by i.e. the UK and the Us are "Christian" countries).

Death for Hitting Dad:
Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

Silence The Woman:
Let the women learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. (I Timothy 2:11-14)

Kill Women Who Are Not Virgins On Their Wedding Night:
But if this charge is true (that she wasn't a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father's house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21 NAB)

God Will Kill the Children of Sinners:
If even then you remain hostile toward me and refuse to obey, I will inflict you with seven more disasters for your sins. I will release wild animals that will kill your children and destroy your cattle, so your numbers will dwindle and your roads will be deserted. (Leviticus 26:21-22 NLT)

Cut Off Her Hand for Helping You:
When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets: then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her. (Deuteronomy 25:11-12)

Female Births Get Penalty:
Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a woman have conceived seed, and born a man child: then she shall be unclean seven days; according to the days of the separation for her infirmity shall she be unclean. (Leviticus 12:2)

Female Inferiority:
But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God. (I Corinthians 11:3)

Women Shall Not Speak:
Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. (I Corinthians 14:34-35)

Plenty more here:

Murder in the Bible
The Dark Bible: Women's Inferior Status
Bible Atrocities: Atrocities in the Bible
Bible Precepts: Questionable Guidelines

Flipmo

VIP Member
Staff member
Most of what you are commenting on are consequences to actions. Not really promotion. Historically speaking, most civilizations would probably act the same way.

For example, death for hitting dad, is a consequence for breaking the law of 'Honouring thy Father and Mother' ... and women who are killed for not being virgins for example was a social norm that has been around for a long time, including nowadays in certain cultures.

The difference between now and then is that after the Enlightenment, the Bible started being viewed differently, and the idea of reading the book face-value has modernized. People don't go around murdering and raping each other. People have understood that the era of the Bible was a very different society to the one we now live in. Also the separation of the Church and Government encouraged this notion.

It is.

He tries to defend Islam by attacking a different religion.
I can see how you would come to that conclusion. My objective however was to provoke people to think about the ignorances and fear of Islam, and realise that the double standards of society and media are causing them to overlook some very questionable things in their very back garden. Maybe after the many issues and concerns of the content of the bible be addressed can the people start looking beyond it and then criticize the content of other holy books (but not till then).

Euphanasia

true. the bible, save some admirable things such as love your neighbor and the golden rule, is trash and it's despicable that people consider it to be a holy book.

Of course, it's a piece of historical literature. It's relevant and to be valued in that sense, as long as the person reading it realizes it's just as much a fairy tale as The Iliad.

ill-matic

It is.

He tries to defend Islam by attacking a different religion.
Not necessarily. Merely pointing out the hypocrisy associated with the criticisms of Islam when it comes from their Christian counterparts, who in their scripture are responsible for a variety of heinous acts, is not essentially a "defense" of Islam. It's more to point out "who the fuck are you to say anything to us" kind of thing.

I don't blame you for not noticing that tho, Seb.

Caesar

Staff member
Death for Hitting Dad:
Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)
This is part of the Old Testament, and is made irrelevant by the teachings in the New Testament. If you have an issue with this you should focus towards the Jewish religion as it is part of their Torah, which is what the Old Testament is.

Kill Women Who Are Not Virgins On Their Wedding Night:
But if this charge is true (that she wasn't a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father's house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21 NAB)
This is part of the Old Testament, and is made irrelevant by the teachings in the New Testament. If you have an issue with this you should focus towards the Jewish religion as it is part of their Torah, which is what the Old Testament is.

God Will Kill the Children of Sinners:
If even then you remain hostile toward me and refuse to obey, I will inflict you with seven more disasters for your sins. I will release wild animals that will kill your children and destroy your cattle, so your numbers will dwindle and your roads will be deserted. (Leviticus 26:21-22 NLT)

Cut Off Her Hand for Helping You:
When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets: then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her. (Deuteronomy 25:11-12)

Female Births Get Penalty:
Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a woman have conceived seed, and born a man child: then she shall be unclean seven days; according to the days of the separation for her infirmity shall she be unclean. (Leviticus 12:2)

Caesar

Staff member
The difference between Christianity and Islam is this. The Christian world realizes the things taught in the Bible shouldnt be taken literally in today's world and dont base their society, culture and laws on them. The Islam world does. The Christian church does not tell it's followers to spread throughout the world and spread their Islamic beliefs as if they were law, while ignoring the law of the country they move to. Islam does. Christianity does not tell its followers to wage war against Muslims. Islam tells Muslims to go out and kill Christians.

Yes, the Bible says some bullshit, but you cant deny that the world would be a whole lot more peaceful if Islam didnt promote what it does. You cant deny people in Islamic countries are a lot more oppressed than people in the Christian world.

Sebastian

The Christian world realizes the things taught in the Bible shouldnt be taken literally in today's world and dont base their society, culture and laws on them
I know you simplified your post and everything but if you just take a look at the US, i dont know if this statement is anywhere near the truth.

Flipmo

VIP Member
Staff member
Still for the most part in the USA, the bible isn't taken literally. Laws are not passed in reference to it, and it isn't used to make everyday decisions, unless you're part of Mormons, Quakers, etc minority... and even at that, they're not trouble makers for the most part.

Chronic

Still for the most part in the USA, the bible isn't taken literally.
Can you elaborate on that?
Do you mean at face value? In the sense that you don't just open the book and read "God sayeth stoneth theeth homosexualeths" and go out and do it, you read the entire book and place it into context, then compare that context to today? Or do you really mean literal? Because if you don't take the Bible literally you're either saying God doesn't exist or that a large chunk of the Bible is useless information (which to me seems an easy way for people to ignore the parts they dislike).

Flipmo

VIP Member
Staff member
By literal, I mean face value. Meaning whatever is said in the book, is how it should be involving laws, etc.

While you are right... saying you don't take it literal does mean God doesn't exist, but that's just extremes. We've come a long way in 2000 years to understand that you can believe in a Higher Power/God and not take everything written in a sacred book as fact or how we should live our lives. That's where you seperate Spirituality and Religion.

Chronic

True but then you shouldn't be taking anything in a sacred book as fact. The books and the possibility of a divine being are completely seperate.

I see 4 broad options

1) God doesn't exist, the Bible was written by delusional people or people who made something up to control people with good/bad intentions
2) God does exist and everything in the Bible is a fact
3) God does exist and the Bible's stories are fictional but the things it teaches are in fact God's word
4) A higher being exists but all the religions are false

If you believe in the third option I agree that you can be selective with the Bible but if it's any of the other 3 it's either fact or fiction. Just to make sure my point gets across, the thread talks about the Bible and its intended purpose. If you're spiritual and use the Bible (and/or other Holy Books) as a source of inspiration to improve yourself or be more satisfied with life that's great but the Bible is what it is.

Flipmo

VIP Member
Staff member
True but then you shouldn't be taking anything in a sacred book as fact. The books and the possibility of a divine being are completely seperate.

I see 4 broad options

1) God doesn't exist, the Bible was written by delusional people or people who made something up to control people with good/bad intentions
2) God does exist and everything in the Bible is a fact
3) God does exist and the Bible's stories are fictional but the things it teaches are in fact God's word
4) A higher being exists but all the religions are false

If you believe in the third option I agree that you can be selective with the Bible but if it's any of the other 3 it's either fact or fiction. Just to make sure my point gets across, the thread talks about the Bible and its intended purpose. If you're spiritual and use the Bible (and/or other Holy Books) as a source of inspiration to improve yourself or be more satisfied with life that's great but the Bible is what it is.
I see your point, and I agree with it in a broad sense.

Personally I like looking into things a little deeper, I wouldn't say all sacred books are completely fictional.
I can go on and make a Preach like post, but most of the Old Testament has been written down a long time after many generations of being passed down orally because that is how things were done with old Hebrew traditions, the same goes for Confucianism in China, obviously whatever the initial story was changed over time.

As for the New Testament, I would call it an official historical document, like it or not, a man named Jesus (Joshua) did in fact exist and there is more than enough facts to prove it. If you want to believe he is the son of God, that is up to you, but what I think people have to understand is there was limited scientific knowledge back then. So, much was written in metaphore. I personally think that Jesus was just a man ahead of his time, a great philosopher such as Plato or Aristotle.
If you look at the era, and the way things worked you can see whatever he preached was way ahead of his time in terms of humanism. Including many of the other stories in there that are very metaphorical, and speak about laws and social structure in that time.

Now if you want to turn this into a broad idea, might as well add 5) and 6)

- A higher being exists, and no religion is wrong, sacred books are all a difference of opinions on the view of God and important individuals of the time.

- A higher being doesn't exist, no religion is wrong and sacred books are just a difference of historical opinion and context.

If this all sounds illogical, sorry, I'ma t work now and can't reread it to make it all clear. Don't want to get caught LOL.

I'll answer any question afterwards when I'm not being watched like a hawk. :mad:

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.