The Bible promotes rape, murder, inferior status of women and human sacrifice...

Chronic

When I say fictional I mean not divine. Basically, to me it's all about the status of the Bible. If Jesus was just a guy then the New Testament is a highly inaccurate historical document with some great moral teachings (the NT does make it a case to re-affirm God's position on homosexuality). It's a book filled with a point of view and should be treated as such (in this case). Either God exists and the Bible is His word or the Bible has no authority whatsoever.

I don't really feel Jesus was ahead of his time. I read the Old Testament and when it came to stonings etc. I easily came to a conclusion that wiped it all off the table. Jesus just came in and neatly said "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Most of the changes he made didn't come as a surprise to me. If I can come to those conclusions after one read I'm pretty sure Jesus could have. He draw conclusions that were already laid out. He was a Biblical scholar in the Biblical days... not that impressive. Doesn't take away from his message though.

But I only read it once so my opinion is kind of shaky.

Flipmo

VIP Member
Staff member
No, your opinion isn't shaky, it makes much sense and it has been viewed that way by many scholars and I agree that most of his conclusions were already laid out, but I like to think of it this way. The difference between a normal person and a man ahead of his time is the one that can draw those conclusions, and act. This board is full of intelligent lads that can come up with great solutions to problems, but not all of us go out there and spark that change. That's the difference in my opinion. Great men ahead of their times wrote, fought and spoke out about their thoughts no matter how simple or complicated of a conclusion they came to. That's why I see him ahead of his time.

As for the story of casting a stone, the whole issue was that adultery was punishable by death old Mosaic Law and he went against it. I'm sure most people could have come to the conclusion that 'Shit, this is wrong' but most people probably didn't want to upset the Princep/Governor/Authority of Judea at the time and receives lashes for speaking out.

Also, the Bible was complied long after he died. Most would argue he was just speaking out against the politics and laws of his era.
The Council of Nicea in 451 (I think) eventually decided much of what would be included and excluded from the Bible.

Edit: Btw, props Chronic, I can't remember the last time I had a talk like this with someone that can just put himself in a neutral stance and just talk about this kind of stuff without getting emotional or anal about it. You know, exchange of knowledge and opinion. Generally, people at this point would just yell out "Ah fuck off non-believer" or "Fuck off, stupid religious freak" ... So much respect for that.

Sebastian

As for the New Testament, I would call it an official historical document, like it or not, a man named Jesus (Joshua) did in fact exist and there is more than enough facts to prove it
As far as i know, the biblical text is basically the only source to prove that this guy named Jesus existed.

So for you, this is enough "evidence" to nearly label it a fact. Im interested: What of his life do you really believe to be true? Everything, including performing mircales, rising from the dead, etc. or are there exceptions?

Flipmo

VIP Member
Staff member
The sources are those written after the events, generally most of the documents written about him are 200-300 years after his death, that is considered to be weak sources, the strongest source which most historians (religious and non) agree is that the strongest evidence is the Epistle of Paul which was written -30-40 years after his death. Paul is a known figure in the ancient world, and has been talked about not only in the bible, but in Greek and Roman scriptures. Keep in mind also, in 80AD I think, Jerusalem was burnt to the ground, including 9/10th of scriptures, so expect a lot of primary sources to be destroyed from that. Most of the 12 apostles also wrote about this man, who they believed spoke the truth, and they died for it; human behaviour speaks for itself, people will die for what they believe is true, and not a lie. Now that you can argue, but I believe that personally. You can go and look around yourself, I have other facts, but I am not a human sourcebook, but I have some at home from notes. lol

Miracles are just overthetop metaphores for explaining how he helped a man. I can't remember, but the blind man who he helped get his sight back had some scientific reasoning to it. Don't quote me on this, but he did help him, but it wasn't a miracle, it was seen as one though.

What I believe in a broad sense is that he was someone that saw something wrong with the society he lived in (and believe me, it surely was fucked up lol), and spread a word of love and fraternity in a time where Jewish sects were by the dozen and were at eachothers necks. It can be said that Judea was not one of the best Roman Provinces, it was corrupt and prob in one of the worst conditions due to Persian and Barbarian invasions and skirmishes. So, you can argue he was also promoting non-violent protest against Rome, just like Gandhi did against the English.

These are some ideas going around though, but I personally like to think of him of some kind of revolutionaire.

Edit: I'm finishing work soon, and I have to head to my university to talk to my T.A (flirt with her actually to get more points on an essay lol) and I have a midterm to finish. So, I'll reply to anything else later on this evening most prob.

Chronic

The difference between a normal person and a man ahead of his time is the one that can draw those conclusions, and act. This board is full of intelligent lads that can come up with great solutions to problems, but not all of us go out there and spark that change.
Agreed. Although he was presented with a huge stepping stone, he still did better than most people would have. I guess I'd say that he was ahead of his peers but not necessarily his time. His most admirable feat, to me, would be the fact that he knew where his path would take him (within the earthly realm) and he still did it. Sacrificing himself for the greater good obviously. And calling him a revolutionary sounds pretty accurate.

As for the story of casting a stone, the whole issue was that adultery was punishable by death old Mosaic law and he went against it. I'm sure most people could have come to the conclusion that 'Shit, this is wrong' but most people probably didn't want to upset the Princep/Governor/Authority of Judea at the time and receives lashes for speaking out.
Going to rush through my point since this stuff can easily turn into 5000 word-essays but it should be pretty clear:

In my interpretation the Torah of the Old Testament still stands. It wasn't about that time in history, it was about a very specific situation that no longer exists today. God chose the Jews and made a covenant with Abraham. He sent Abraham's descendants signs, prophets, unleashed his fury on the Egyptians, split the Red Sea, dropped fucking bread from the heavens, gave them an Ark that dropped walls, exposed himself (trenchcoat-style) to them at Mount Sinai etc. People today are more skeptical but in those days if your people told you these things happened in the past you believed it. I didn't read a single thing about atheism among the Israelites in Exodus and Leviticus. There were plenty of idolaters but they all believed in God and accepted His rule. They were given their own land (which had belonged to others) and prosperity. When you're in great living conditions, knowing the only reason why you're there is because you're riding Abraham's coattail, and you accept the ruling of that society as righteous, I think it's pretty okay for God to kick some major ass when someone breaks the law.

I forgot the details but somewhere in Exodus (I think) one of the Israelites had committed a sin and a plague broke out killing a ton of people in a very short time. The plague didn't stop until someone killed the sinner. Lesson: leave a sinner unpunished and shit gets fucked. One of the major reasons why people were supposed to be killed in such a barbaric way was a) getting rid of the sinners, cutting sin off at the source so it wouldn't spread any further b) scaring people so they wouldn't sin (which in turn would allow God to forgive them)

I imagine a community where everyone believes in God, in His laws, His punishments etc. and no one breaks those laws. Then along comes a homosexual who chooses to act upon these perverse feelings and doesn't repent then, yes, it's moral (I have my issues with it of course but I see the logic), to drag this person to the middle of town and stone them to death in front of everyone. Gets rid of the unrepenting sinner, who's behavior may have led others to sin, and scares any non-practising homosexuals (*snicker*) away from doing the same thing. They get scared, don't do queer thingies and go to Heaven!

Then there's today. I don't give a fuck what any religious person says, you do not know for a fact that God exists. Not like those people in the Bible. You're not living in a God-fearing society, not everyone agrees or is even aware of God's laws and punishments. And cutting off homosexuality at its source? You couldn't do that in the past but you could keep it at such a minimum that 1 homosexual might make a major difference. Unless the world changes to such a drastic degree, you can no longer quench the homosexual threat. Dragging a homosexual to the middle of town would now 1) not cut it off at the source 2) doing such a thing in the name of religion would push people further away from God's word 3) open up some major doors for sin to creep in

Not only does it not achieve God's desired effect, it actually does the opposite of what God wants. And you can't drag a sinner off to be stoned when you're a sinner as well. Even Moses sinned, we all fucking sin. That's why God has to forgive us. But put a gay person in front of some moronic Christian and hear them spout "SINNER!".

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

The Torah was laid out to the ancient Israelites and I don't see any.

Also if you look at life as a test and the Bible is the guide to passing this test, then the Bible is a test. God said "kill gays" but it would no longer apply to the future readers of the Bible. Part of our sinful nature is to push our frustrations and hate onto others. A Christian sees the world as ripe with sin, he/she sees a homosexual and projects their anger over the dealings of the world onto that person. Although the Bible created this hatred towards homosexuals it also gives the proper direction to not giving into this hatred, and thereby falling into sin. Arrogant little Christian person knows they're right, knows their interpretation is bulletproof and needs no further insight, anger takes over, spouts a few Bible verses and burns a fag... and then ends up in Hell. High-five God!

Unbelievers need to know only 1 thing: a mighty chastisement awaits. But 98% of the Bible is dedicated to believers. All the advice is for them. But if not used appropriately it only pushes people further away from the truth. The Bible seemed pretty clear that God will be harder on those who were exposed to His Truth (believers) but didn't follow His laws (80% of believers?) than he will be on those who weren't exposed (unbelievers). That to me is working in mysterious ways. And perchance unbelievers doesn't translate to atheist.

Problem for me is that I thought about these things but I haven't re-read it to verify that I didn't just pull some conclusions out of my ass. But for now I see that even if you take the Bible completely literally you don't need to treat the Old Testament as old and outdated. The Torah stands and will stand but that doesn't mean God wants you to stone people to death.

FlipMo said:
Edit: Btw, props Chronic, I can't remember the last time I had a talk like this with someone that can just put himself in a neutral stance and just talk about this kind of stuff without getting emotional or anal about it. You know, exchange of knowledge and opinion. Generally, people at this point would just yell out "Ah fuck off non-believer" or "Fuck off, stupid religious freak" ... So much respect for that.
It's always easier when you're not discussing with an idiot, so same to you lol. When I started the Bible you can imagine my reaction to Genesis. But I figured, what's the point in reading it with that state of mind? Instead of breaking it down, just build it up and see how well it holds up. Divine or not, it's interesting.

Jokerman

I just want to comment on the authority of scripture in Christianity. For Christians, the Bible is not identical to the Word of God. The primary Word was the living person, Jesus Christ, and the Bible is the Word of God only in the secondary sense, that it points to Jesus Christ and sets him before the reader or hearer as the revelation of God, and so he is the one who demands the response of faith. Taking the Bible as being the literal Word of God is a fundamentalist corruption of the original understanding.

Also, both the OT and the NT derive their authority from Christ, so it’s not quite correct to say that parts of the OT were made irrelevant by the teaching in the NT. The OT, of course, has a different ground for its authority among Jews, but for Christians it’s authoritative because of its relation to Christ. It is the OT that supplies the basic theological background assumed in the NT and that also supplies the expectations in terms of which Jesus Christ is interpreted in the NT.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
All Religious texts written AFTER the events they speak about are like playing a game of Chinese whispers in grade school. Did you guys ever play that game?

No influential country in the world bases its society solely on the teachings of the Bible, accept for maybe Vatican City, but that doesn't really count. No country expects you to live according to what the Bible says. No country punishes you by beatings or death if you go against what the Bible says. Yes, laws in the western world are similar to what the Bible says, but they are based more on morals and common sense than scripture. It is common sense that theft, murder and rape are wrong, we don't need the 10 Commandments to tell us this. We do not follow the Bible as if it was law.

America can do some fucked up things, but they do not wage wars based on the Bible, or in defense of Religion.

The Western world left those days behind them with the Crusades.

It is a shame the Islamic world can not do the same.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
I just want to comment on the authority of scripture in Christianity. For Christians, the Bible is not identical to the Word of God. The primary Word was the living person, Jesus Christ, and the Bible is the Word of God only in the secondary sense, that it points to Jesus Christ and sets him before the reader or hearer as the revelation of God, and so he is the one who demands the response of faith. Taking the Bible as being the literal Word of God is a fundamentalist corruption of the original understanding.

Also, both the OT and the NT derive their authority from Christ, so it’s not quite correct to say that parts of the OT were made irrelevant by the teaching in the NT. The OT, of course, has a different ground for its authority among Jews, but for Christians it’s authoritative because of its relation to Christ. It is the OT that supplies the basic theological background assumed in the NT and that also supplies the expectations in terms of which Jesus Christ is interpreted in the NT.
I get what you're saying but I think what Caesar meant is you can not judge Christianity for scripture that was written by the Jewish people.

Flipmo

VIP Member
Staff member
That is true, the fanatics without a brain can block it, but it won't hold forever. Gay Marriage and Stem Cell Research is gaining more and more momentum within society. Once an ideology or moral thought starts gaining momentum in a population, it is generally hard to burn it out. More and more states are legalizing gay marriage, that is a sign that it's just a matter of time before it is fully accepted.

Edit: And Chron, I'll comment on your thing later, you wrote an essay a la Preach lol

masta247

Staff member
but they can place blocks on things like stem cell research and gay marriage because the people in control of these decisions are religious freaks. and therein lies the problem.
I bet that a great number of people who are not religious are also against gay marriages.
At least I know a lot of them.
They are simply intolerant or homophobic.

Flipmo

VIP Member
Staff member
Ya I've done it like once or twice before, I tend to just forget about the thread, lol, didn't forget about this one though. :D

Flipmo

VIP Member
Staff member
In my interpretation the Torah of the Old Testament still stands. It wasn't about that time in history, it was about a very specific situation that no longer exists today. God chose the Jews and made a covenant with Abraham. He sent Abraham's descendants signs, prophets, unleashed his fury on the Egyptians, split the Red Sea, dropped fucking bread from the heavens, gave them an Ark that dropped walls, exposed himself (trenchcoat-style) to them at Mount Sinai etc. People today are more skeptical but in those days if your people told you these things happened in the past you believed it.
I tend to just compare antiquity Greece to now. Back then if thunder would strike down and hit a building, it was because Zeus was angry. If a tidewave took your ship apart, it's cause Poseidon was being a little prick. Obviously, we've come a long way with science that helped prove much of these natural occurrences.

I didn't read a single thing about atheism among the Israelites in Exodus and Leviticus. There were plenty of idolaters but they all believed in God and accepted His rule. They were given their own land (which had belonged to others) and prosperity. When you're in great living conditions, knowing the only reason why you're there is because you're riding Abraham's coattail, and you accept the ruling of that society as righteous, I think it's pretty okay for God to kick some major ass when someone breaks the law.
Agreed. I don't see it as being any different than what we have in our society. Obviously screw around with someone in power, he'll have no problem in enforcing his law or wrath..

I forgot the details but somewhere in Exodus (I think) one of the Israelites had committed a sin and a plague broke out killing a ton of people in a very short time. The plague didn't stop until someone killed the sinner. Lesson: leave a sinner unpunished and shit gets fucked. One of the major reasons why people were supposed to be killed in such a barbaric way was a) getting rid of the sinners, cutting sin off at the source so it wouldn't spread any further b) scaring people so they wouldn't sin (which in turn would allow God to forgive them)
I can't remember the story to be honest, but the lesson you gave is actually something used in the justice system in China. In other words, while in North America it's innocent until proven guilty, in China it's guilty until proven innocent.

I'll have to look into the story you gave though.

I imagine a community where everyone believes in God, in His laws, His punishments etc. and no one breaks those laws. Then along comes a homosexual who chooses to act upon these perverse feelings and doesn't repent then, yes, it's moral (I have my issues with it of course but I see the logic), to drag this person to the middle of town and stone them to death in front of everyone. Gets rid of the unrepenting sinner, who's behavior may have led others to sin, and scares any non-practising homosexuals (*snicker*) away from doing the same thing. They get scared, don't do queer thingies and go to Heaven!
There was great emphasis in the past, in most parts of the world, in setting the example. In other words, you set a good example, it will encourage others to do good. Set a bad example, and it will encourage others to do bad, and you kind of touch on that in terms of bringing others into sin. It's something that is still extremely common in oriental countries. The society as a whole, is more important than the individual, which we place more importance to in the West.

Then there's today. I don't give a fuck what any religious person says, you do not know for a fact that God exists. Not like those people in the Bible. You're not living in a God-fearing society, not everyone agrees or is even aware of God's laws and punishments. And cutting off homosexuality at its source? You couldn't do that in the past but you could keep it at such a minimum that 1 homosexual might make a major difference. Unless the world changes to such a drastic degree, you can no longer quench the homosexual threat. Dragging a homosexual to the middle of town would now 1) not cut it off at the source 2) doing such a thing in the name of religion would push people further away from God's word 3) open up some major doors for sin to creep in
Good point, and I believe because of radicals that go to extreme lengths to prove their point pushes people further away from what in general is a book of morals and mostly good in my opinion. They use old school methods, but a new school society, and that just doesn't cut it anymore.

Not only does it not achieve God's desired effect, it actually does the opposite of what God wants. And you can't drag a sinner off to be stoned when you're a sinner as well. Even Moses sinned, we all fucking sin. That's why God has to forgive us. But put a gay person in front of some moronic Christian and hear them spout "SINNER!".
That would depend on who you speak to, I know many Christians that have no problem with homosexuals, but it's true, for the most part. Many will claim them as Sinners... In my everyday experience, those are usually that put themselves morality pedestal in public, spread hate to others and hide their fucked up ways from the world.

Also if you look at life as a test and the Bible is the guide to passing this test, then the Bible is a test. God said "kill gays" but it would no longer apply to the future readers of the Bible. Part of our sinful nature is to push our frustrations and hate onto others.
Yup. :thumb:

A Christian sees the world as ripe with sin, he/she sees a homosexual and projects their anger over the dealings of the world onto that person. Although the Bible created this hatred towards homosexuals it also gives the proper direction to not giving into this hatred, and thereby falling into sin. Arrogant little Christian person knows they're right, knows their interpretation is bulletproof and needs no further insight, anger takes over, spouts a few Bible verses and burns a fag... and then ends up in Hell. High-five God!

Unbelievers need to know only 1 thing: a mighty chastisement awaits. But 98% of the Bible is dedicated to believers. All the advice is for them. But if not used appropriately it only pushes people further away from the truth. The Bible seemed pretty clear that God will be harder on those who were exposed to His Truth (believers) but didn't follow His laws (80% of believers?) than he will be on those who weren't exposed (unbelievers). That to me is working in mysterious ways. And perchance unbelievers doesn't translate to atheist.

Problem for me is that I thought about these things but I haven't re-read it to verify that I didn't just pull some conclusions out of my ass. But for now I see that even if you take the Bible completely literally you don't need to treat the Old Testament as old and outdated. The Torah stands and will stand but that doesn't mean God wants you to stone people to death.
I like you haven't read it in a while either. I've been more stuck into reading the history and spread (how and where) of the sects, and what they believed in and how things changed from then to now. So, I also may be shaky. I'm not a 100% sure on God being harder on those that are believers and don't follow the laws, and those that just don't believe in general... So I can't really comment.

As for homosexuality for what I've noticed everytime it is mentioned it in bible it is condemned, but the Bible itself does not go out and say homosexuality is at the core of sin and all that is evil. It is far from obsessive about it, it actually sees it as a normative, the Corinthians I think has ample and ample references to it, and most do not encourage people to go out and mutilate them, but people themselves do consider it an important issue, for some reason or another.. (Stupid, but sadly, mortals nincompoops)

The issue with the book in itself is that it has been translated and re-edited so many times throughout history, and especially when the printing press came out, that the real message could be lost in time, unless it surfaces like some of the dead sea scrolls. So, what people base their teachings on now, might be a total opposite of what a verse really meant. I'd really love to know what the first edition would have said. That would be epicness. lol

This is the longest post I ever quoted... with the most quotes. I had time to eat vegetable lasagna and come back. Horrah.

_carmi

me, myself & us
I think it's all a matter of interpretation. Although I do admit some are straight forward.

One cannot ignore that the Bible wasn't written by God or Jesus, but was orally propagated by his disciples and through word of mouth it was tought to people until a group decided to do a written copy. I don't believe the Bible contains facts, but more interpretations of those who spread the good news back then.

I don't think those can be taken literally. Some about women are definately discriminatory toward women but back then it was the norm. Women were nothing. Thank god society progressed. And although the Vatican is not as advanced and understanding toward the new society rules, they certainly don't apply those bible theories literally.

PS I didn't read any posts except for the initial one.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.