This is my thread

keco52

Staff member
@dilla can I ask you a medical question? You’re in gyno right? Have you ever seen a patient who had a positive urine pregnancy test and it ended up being a kidney infection or kidney disease?

dilla

Trumpfan17 aka Coonie aka Dilla aka Tennis Dog
@dilla can I ask you a medical question? You’re in gyno right? Have you ever seen a patient who had a positive urine pregnancy test and it ended up being a kidney infection or kidney disease?

That was a 6 week rotation lol. And I hated it.

I got curious, so I looked it up and found this: https://www.gloshospitals.nhs.uk/ou...s-and-investigations/pregnancy-test-beta-hcg/

I don't think it's that common therefore it's not something we covered in basic sciences, but it seems to have some merit. I know bHCG can be elevated in certain cancers, even in guys, which the article explains too. I remember seeing a story several years back where a young guy took his girlfriend's pregnancy test and it came back positive and that's how he found out he had ball cancer. What a way to find out.

Going back to the link, it sounds like they're saying elevated RBC/WBC/nitrites can cause the false positive but that doesn't make sense to me since bHCG is a hormone and the rest are cells or byproducts and I'm not sure how they can fuck with a reading to give a false positive. Obscure bHCG and cause a false negative? I can believe that. But make make bHCG more prominent in a test? I don't know.

As I said, I learned fuck-all in that rotation and the doctor didn't take me to the hospital once in that time. He was on vacation for two or three of those weeks when I first started so I basically passed time looking at ghetto cooter with the physician assistant and seeing if I could correctly guess the patient's age by the number of rings in her vagina, like a tree.

keco52

Staff member
That was a 6 week rotation lol. And I hated it.

I got curious, so I looked it up and found this: https://www.gloshospitals.nhs.uk/ou...s-and-investigations/pregnancy-test-beta-hcg/

I don't think it's that common therefore it's not something we covered in basic sciences, but it seems to have some merit. I know bHCG can be elevated in certain cancers, even in guys, which the article explains too. I remember seeing a story several years back where a young guy took his girlfriend's pregnancy test and it came back positive and that's how he found out he had ball cancer. What a way to find out.

Going back to the link, it sounds like they're saying elevated RBC/WBC/nitrites can cause the false positive but that doesn't make sense to me since bHCG is a hormone and the rest are cells or byproducts and I'm not sure how they can fuck with a reading to give a false positive. Obscure bHCG and cause a false negative? I can believe that. But make make bHCG more prominent in a test? I don't know.

As I said, I learned fuck-all in that rotation and the doctor didn't take me to the hospital once in that time. He was on vacation for two or three of those weeks when I first started so I basically passed time looking at ghetto cooter with the physician assistant and seeing if I could correctly guess the patient's age by the number of rings in her vagina, like a tree.
Okay, lol sorry all I remembered was the ghetto cooter part.

dilla

Wow @dilla never knew you were a gyno
I am not lol which is why I couldn't armchair-doc the issues you were having. Only thing I learned during my OB/gyn training was that the cooter exists to try and kill the woman with one.

Lol I did feel slightly bad asking because I know people probably ask him stupid stuff all the time.

I had the worst baby doctor in the ER a couple weekends ago. I swear he was just googling my symptoms. The nurse seemed more knowledgeable with a better bedside manner. Poor kid.
One kid out the door, another bun in the oven?

keco52

Staff member
I am not lol which is why I couldn't armchair-doc the issues you were having. Only thing I learned during my OB/gyn training was that the cooter exists to try and kill the woman with one.

One kid out the door, another bun in the oven?
No, I went hiking for a week in California and came back with kidney stones. But the doctor kept trying to convince me I was pregnant and told me to follow up with my OB.

dilla

No, I went hiking for a week in California and came back with kidney stones. But the doctor kept trying to convince me I was pregnant and told me to follow up with my OB.

Damn. Sounds like you were just dehydrated. But there is that 1% chance your doc is right.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member

I get kidney stones all the time. I never pass them so they get large, then lithotripsy gives me 100 stones to pass. It's great fun

keco52

Staff member
I get kidney stones all the time. I never pass them so they get large, then lithotripsy gives me 100 stones to pass. It's great fun
All the time, really?? That was the worst pain I’ve ever felt and I’ve nearly severed a finger off lol. It was tiny too. Like 2mm.

Do you know why you get them? I’ve only had one once before and someone here actually predicted I would get them from my diet. I can’t think of his name at the moment but I was eating tons of tuna and drinking grapefruit juice and he said “that’s a great way to get kidney stones” and I sure did lol.

dilla

All the time, really?? That was the worst pain I’ve ever felt and I’ve nearly severed a finger off lol. It was tiny too. Like 2mm.

Do you know why you get them? I’ve only had one once before and someone here actually predicted I would get them from my diet. I can’t think of his name at the moment but I was eating tons of tuna and drinking grapefruit juice and he said “that’s a great way to get kidney stones” and I sure did lol.
Soda and other sweet drinks can. Processed meats, too. Red meat. Whatever turns your urine acidic.

There was no HCG lol. It was just a false positive urine test. He told me to follow up but following up is not in my budget after California and then a CT scan.

Yeah, not necessary. Just wait another 7 months and see if you feel any different.

keco52

Staff member
Soda and other sweet drinks can. Processed meats, too. Red meat. Whatever turns your urine acidic.

Yeah, not necessary. Just wait another 7 months and see if you feel any different.
If I start crowning then I’ll know somethings up.

It’s hard to avoid processed meats when you’re hiking. I was definitely eating turkey jerky when it happened this last time.

dilla

If I start crowning then I’ll know somethings up.

It’s hard to avoid processed meats when you’re hiking. I was definitely eating turkey jerky when it happened this last time.
Yeah, the salt can do it, too. Depends on what type of kidney stones you had but that'll dehydrate you too. That grapefruit juice is acidic and also vitamin C which can fuck things up.

Hiking? Turkey jerky? Why do you do these things to yourself? I'd rather be pregnant.

keco52

Staff member
Yeah, the salt can do it, too. Depends on what type of kidney stones you had but that'll dehydrate you too. That grapefruit juice is acidic and also vitamin C which can fuck things up.

Hiking? Turkey jerky? Why do you do these things to yourself? I'd rather be pregnant.
lol I’ll get pregnant before I fly into LAX ever again.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member

I get them because I had a bowel surgery 16 years ago. I probably have one at the moment but it's not causing any grief

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.